016

❝ in the end i needed to get  usedto the sight of blood smeared on my hands ❞    

to the sight of blood smeared on my hands ❞    

-Chapter 53, The Sweetest Contempt, by yeonnieong

--

ONG RAEYEON

Rustlings of laughter and activities erupted through the campsite, none seemingly noticing a tad bit concerning the principal's missing figure. It raised up her anxiety, as well as it made her glad. The trip would be a mess knowing the principal died by the hands of a student nobody would ever suspect.

Raeyeon tucked her hands in her hoodie pocket, her hood hovering above her head as she averted her gaze from everybody around her, feeling unwell due to the event yesterday. 

"I will be announcing today's game." the vice principal's voice erupted from the megaphone.

Raeyeon made sure to observe her facial expression. And it clearly showed plain blankness. No excitement, and no sadness either. "Why isn't anyone looking for Mr. Lee..."

"The game is known as Puzzle Hunt." she spoke. "The rules are simple. There are palm-sized puzzle pieces hidden in particular locations, each marked with different colors. According to the color of your neckerchief, you are assigned to collect the pieces marked with that specific color. There are a total of 9 puzzle pieces for each team to find. We've marked a border of which you should not step out of, so make sure you get a clear observation of your surrounding. When your team succeeds in finding all puzzle pieces, you must come back here and combine all 9 of them into a bigger picture on the board we will provide for you. The winner gets a lunch in a restaurant of their choice, with an 'all you can eat'."

The crowd roared in competitiveness, the vice principal struggling on continuing her speech.

"Any questions before we start?!" she yelled.

A guy raised his arm. "Aren't there wild animals in here? Why'd we have to go even deeper into the forest Mrs. Kim?!" he whined, earning coos from other people.

Raeyeon eyed Woojin, who was in the line beside her. He was unfortunately in another team, and it somehow bothered her that they'd have to separate. But what she couldn't shrug off was the fact that Nara substituted one of the absent girl of their team as an attempt to get closer to him. 

"There are no wild animals in this forest." Mrs. Kim spoke. 

"What a lie." someone spoke from behind Raeyeon.

She turned around. "Oh, Jihoon?" she said, surprised. "You're in this team too?"

Jihoon nodded calmly. "And Daniel. He's getting some papers done since he's one of the voluntary senior staff, then he'll come here to join." he said. "For your information, Woojin had been pestering me to pretend that I'm sick so that he'd be able to have an excuse to join your team." Jihoon added.