Chapter 10

Naruto was prepared to hit the hay after putting Jiraiya to bed, yet she was stopped by Kurama in his human form. "What is it?" looking to her partner in concern.

Kurama nodded towards the back forest. "He's waiting for you. Madara. You should go talk to him before I change my mind." Climbing in Naruto's bed and snuggled in. Waving Naruto to head off. "Put something warm on too. I'll be waiting till you get back."

Naruto looked confused but did as Kurama said and wrapped a woolly cardigan around her frame and slipped on her sandals before treading out of the cottage and deep with the forest behind the place. Walking right into the heart of the forest as she seeked out Madara's chakra signature and found herself near a river with the Uchiha waiting for her on the other side. Stopping at the edge of the river and called over to him. "You were waiting for me?"

Madara nodded. "Indeed, I have been waiting." He saw the moonlight reflect off her hair and lightly gulped. "I've come to apologise. I have lied to you, Naruto."

"What are you talking about?" Naruto frowned in confusion as she folded her arms. The night was cold.

Madara was trying to find the right words to tell Naruto. She was and always will be special to him and knew that she wasn't his from the beginning. "Naruto...I have lied to you. I must ask myself, how do you look at someone you love and tell yourself it's time to walk away?" He held a gloved hand up to stop her from speaking once he saw her small lips part. "I've learnt that your soulmate is not someone that comes into your life peacefully. It is who comes to make you question things, who changes your reality, somebody that marks a before and after in your life. It is not the human being everyone has idealised, but an ordinary person, who manages to revolutionise your world in a second."

Naruto didn't know what say to Madara's words. "Why...why are you telling me this now, Madara?" She whispered in confusion. "WHY?!" Naruto yelled over at him when he didn't answer her.

"You have become my reality, Naruto." Madara whispered over to her with a look of pure longing in his eyes. "My father once told me that the moment people come to know love, they run the risk of carrying hate. I love you, Naruto...but I hate Tobirama. It's etched within my heart and soul. I cannot forgive him for killing my brother, Naruto. Forgiveness is a hard thing to accomplish for me. I love you as much as I love my brother, Izuna. Quite possibly even more. I want to be stronger, Naruto." He placed a hand over his heart as he looked Naruto dead in the eyes. "Strong enough to contain my anger. I only want your happiness, Naruto, yet I want to claim you as my own. I just wanted to say goodbye to you."

"Don't you dare?!" Naruto yelled at Madara when he took a step to leave. She had shocked him by her powerful and demanding chakra and presence. There were tears pooling at her eyes as she clenched her fists into her cardigan. "You can't just say this to me and then leave, Teme! I can see in your eyes that saying goodbye is painful for you. The only time a goodbye is painful is when you know you'll never say hello again..." Naruto wiped her tears away with her palms. Her heart was breaking at this and couldn't understand why. "Why...?! Answer me, Teme!" Naruto demanded the stubborn Uchiha.

Madara shook his head sadly. "I have no home here, Naruto. My clan has already turned their back on me due to the darkness within my heart. I have no home."

"Baka! Everybody has a home, no matter who they are!" Naruto argued. "Wherever someone thinks about you that's where the home is! Even you have a home!"

"Naruto please...don't give me hope." He clutched his head as his temple throbbed painfully. "I don't have much time, Naruto. Please, remember you promise to me. End my life when my darkness takes over, Naruto." He fell to one knee as he tried to push against his inner-self for a while longer. "Stop! Don't come after me, Naruto! I beg you!" Stopping the blonde from crossing the river and looked up to her through pained eyes. "We both knew this was bound to happen sooner or later. I am just glad that I got to talk to you this last time before I go." He saw the tears cascade down her whiskered cheeks and offered a small smile. "Please don't cry for me, Naruto. I want to see you smile one last time." Tossing over a finely woven black bracelet with a single red, black and white bead. "I heard that your birthday is tomorrow. I'm sorry that I won't be able to celebrate with you tomorrow." Checking the skies and saw that it just touched midnight. It was the 9th of October.