Chapter 7~ Compassion is Weakness

KYLO'S POV

I've spent the remainder of the day pondering the connection I have with Rey. A remarkable feat, neither of us initiated the connection and yet there she was, standing right in front of me, crystal clear. She said hardly anything but her eyes revealed her thoughts to me like an open book. She has many different emotions swirling within her; rage, hatred, confusion, fear, and... something else, something unfamiliar.

I know that if given the opportunity, she would strike me where I stand and not leave until my slow and painful death was final. I know she is malevolent underneath that cheery facade she puts on, that's why I want her by my side. Power like hers could be used for total control and order in the galaxy. With a woman like her at my height in command, TWICE the number of star systems would fall at our feet. With a being as strong as her by my side in battle, this war would be the final victory worth celebrating for many years to come.

I sighed to myself, I knew her power wasn't the only thing that had be captivated. Hell, SNOKE knew it.

"You have compassion for her..." he said in a quiet, lethal tone. Immediately I panicked, I couldn't show it though. "Compassion for an enemy of the Order? Never." I said bluntly.

That was a lie. I did feel somewhat compassionate towards her. She's spent her whole life alone, no family, just other monsters. When I revealed myself to her, she had a horrifically confused expression. All the monsters that surrounded her looked like monsters, whereas I am a monster in human skin.

Today was finally one of those days where I didn't have much to do. I stood in a meditative state by the window overseeing my troops in the armory. For the first time in a long time, I was relatively calm. As I watched the machines build the armor for my troops, I felt that waver in the Force again. I turned and saw Rey standing there. I don't understand what's going on.

"Why is the Force connecting us? You and I-" "Murderous snake! You're too late! You've lost! I've found Skywalker!" She cut me off
"Oh. Did he tell you what happened?" I asked. She furrowed her brows in confusion.
"The night I destroyed his temple, did he tell you why?!" I pushed, stepping forward a few paces.
"I know everything I need to know about you. You've taken too many things from me. You've ruined everything." She seethed.
"You think you know? Ah, you do... but you know nothing. But I know you." I say. I take a few steps closer, leaving a foot or two of distance between us. Anger was radiating off of her. I looked into her eyes for the first time in a while and I saw it. I saw the hatred. She had her teeth gritted at me.
"You're wrong! You don't know a damn thing about me!"
"There it is.. the anger... you have that look in your eyes from the forest... when you called me a monster." I recalled. Her voice went colder than ever.
"You are a monster."
Her saying that pushed me back into my memories.

As a young boy, I hid in my room one evening after an accident I caused with another child. My mother and Solo argued about sending me away with Skywalker, and I heard my mom say, "he's becoming a monster."

One thing I would never forget, my father disagreed with her, said she was wrong about me. But she was right. And so is Rey. I cast the memory aside and took a step back.
"Yes I am..." I said, my voice no more than a whisper.

The last I saw of her was a sympathetic look on her face, and then she disappeared. With that came a spray of salty water onto my face, reminding me of my failure to find Skywalker's location.