Chapter 9~ Thin Line Between Truth and Lies

Kylo's POV

This connection between Rey and I has caused me some mental distress. If she could figure out where I'm at, it wouldn't be long before she managed to find the Supremacy and give to Resistance the upper hand and ruin us again. To make matters worse, the Force isn't really allowing me to uncover the cause. Maybe with a little given time I can learn to block it. It occurred to me in thought that maybe Snoke could've created this connection, but the more I think on it, the more ridiculous it sounds. As long as our minds are linked, all I can do is hope we don't connect at times of privacy or confidential affairs.

The day so far has been slower than ever, apart from the couple times the connection triggered. There was a meeting scheduled with Hux and a few more upper class officers earlier. Other than being reminded of their incompetence to destroy the Resistance Fleet, I'd say the meeting went well. It won't be long before we destroy them. Without enough fuel to make a jump the hyperspace, we can keep bombing them. With enough fuel, they'll jump and we'll track them again and still keep bombing them. "Caught on the end of a string," as the red headed rodent said. Soon the Resistance will be no more.

I decided to use another few hours of this wild goose chase for working out and practice saber fighting with a handful of my knights. I try not to over do the crunches since that wound in my side is still ablaze with pain. I couldn't keep my focus while I worked. I couldn't find motivation to keep pumping iron, no reason the beat the bag. Rey found her way into my mind. Not in another connection, but just... there.

I've thought of her a lot since that night in the forest a couple weeks ago. I think most about the moment I offered to teach her the ways of the Force. The way she closed her eyes to channel her power. In that moment, all the rage I had pent up from before seemed to disappear. I was at a state of calm for the first time in years. It was so strange. Her calm, slow breathing, despite the world collapsing beneath us, was nearly enough for me to foolishly lower my guard. Then her eyes opened back up, I swear I could've sank to my knees and let her run me through with the family lightsaber a thousand times. The look she held, that of purpose and rage, made my heart nearly burst. Even if I wasn't weakened by my pain from what I did, I still would've lost to her. I knew from then she was special. I knew from then I could never hurt her, no matter how bad the anger got, even despite the fact that she is the enemy. Strange how a little scavenger girl could mean so much to me after one encounter.

i decided to call it quits with the exercising. Heading back to my chambers, ready for a quick shower. I stripped off the drenched tank top and was about to remove the black bandage wrapped around my lower torso. Before I could get to the bindings, the now familiar waver of the Force vibrates in my ears, the connection.

"I'd rather not do this now..." Rey said, her voice laced with annoyance.

"Yeah, me too." I called out, my back still turned towards her. She must've turned and saw me because she gasped with embarrassment.

"Oh damn!" She whispered. I had to suppress a bark of laughter, innocent little thing. Even though the lighting was dark, I could clearly see her face blushed red. I smirked a bit, couldn't help myself.

"Do you have a cowl or something? Cover yourself! I can't- ugh!" She groaned and turned away from me momentarily. Though this situation is both funny and awkward, I could tell there was something else. Her mind is swimming, that much clear.

"You want to ask something, what is it?" I ask, trying to break the tension. She turned back to face me, and seeing I still didn't cover myself she face palmed and shook her head. Letting out a sigh she finally asked her question.

"Why did you hate your father?" She bit her lip in anticipation. I stayed silent. I really didn't hate him, or mom. I was pissed that they never seemed to care when I needed them most. I only killed Han because at the time, he was my weakness, no matter how much I said he didn't matter.

"You had a father that loved you! He gave a damn about you! Why did you kill him?!" She yelled. She, too, hasn't gotten over it. At this point her tears don't fall, they crash.

"I didn't hate him." I said.

"Then why?! I don't understand." She sobbed. Her pain was as great as mine, only no one would ever see mine. Weakness is unacceptable.

"You don't? Surely you must, your parents threw you away like garbage." I tell her. I remember when I probed her mind back on the Base, the ship flying off leaving a 6 year old Rey with a worm ridden swindler.

"They didn't!" She hissed through the river of tears. I felt bad having to tell her but she needs to accept that they won't return.

"They did... you're just in denial. You can't stop needing them. It's your greatest weakness. You look for them everywhere, in Solo, now in Skywalker." I told her. She's much like me. I held on for so long, hoping that my own family would be there for me, and now so does she.

"Has he told you what happened?" I asked, changing topic. Her anger grew steadily, she seethed.

"Yes!" I could see in her mind, what he said. He lied to his own new student. He lied to the one whom placed her trust in him.

"No. He lied." I said.

I laid asleep in my cot, my mind plagued by nightmares. The hiss and humming of a lightsaber made me stir awake. The Force was alarming me of danger. I turned to see Skywalker, his face chiseled with hatred and eyes glowing with fury, ready to bring his saber down onto me. Fear overcame me and I summoned my saber to my hand and deflected his attack. Knowing he wouldn't quit until I was dead, I reached my hand out passed him and willed the stones of the hut to fall onto him.

"He sensed my power, as he senses yours. He's afraid of you, a coward. When you get stronger, he will do the same thing all over again." I tell her. Her face became pleading.

"Liar..." Instead of sounding like an accusation, it sounded like she was trying to convince herself it wasn't true. I took a few steps closer to her, she had to look up to me due to the height difference.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what we're meant to be..." I whispered. She looked into my eyes, one last tear slipped down her cheek before she disappeared. I sat on the edge of my bed, thinking of her again. I hate admitting that seeing her fall apart like that kills me on the inside. With all thoughts pushed aside, I resume preparations for my shower.