Chapter 15~ Saving the Resistance

Rey's POV

All the remaining TIE fighters that served as air support for the massive First Order Walkers dispatched and chased after us. Chewie was left in the cockpit while I took gunner position. He flew the Falcon away from the battle field. Every couple of seconds, one of the TIEs would fly into the targeting screen and I'd swivel the gunner chair to fire at them. These guys aren't that smart.

We ended up flying down into a cavern littered with red crystal spikes jutting out in different directions. A few of the fighters got their wings torn off while the Falcon was able to turn to any angle to avoid too much damage. The last fighter was persistent. He landed two shots and managed to keep up the chase. That is, until I blew him into nothing but scrap metal.

"They're gone, Chewie! I'm coming up!" I hollered. I climbed up and ran over to the cockpit. Chewie's copilot was one of the dozens of porgs that nested in the ship. I took a seat in the copilot's seat and the porg took its place on Chewie's shoulder. I couldn't help but laugh at that. We had R2 plugged into the ship's data port to get access to its sensors. He beeped in frustration.

"The beacon is close, keep scanning for any life forms." I said. Waiting for a few minutes, scams had been done and surely enough, the radar showed life forms. I looked down towards a mountain side and saw hundreds of crystal foxes pouring out.

"Down there Chewie!" I pointed out. He swerved over and landed the ship on a flat part of the mountain where the foxes were running out of. I ran out and stopped dead in my tracks. The foxes were slipping through rocks that blocked the whole exit.

"Lifting rocks..." I whispered to myself. I stretched my arm out and willed the Force to lift the rocks from their place. It worked. Every rock floated in the air, and standing in their place was the Resistance. I saw Finn first and smiled. I cast all the rocks to the side and Finn ran up to me and pulled me into a tight embrace.

Everyone else ran out of the cave, I was upset to see there weren't many people. We've lost so many allies. I herded everyone aboard the Falcon. Then I felt something weird in the Force, like the loss of a presence, someone died. I glanced at Leia, she felt it too, her face turned sad.

"Come on, we have to leave." I rushed her on board. I felt the Force waver, signaling the connection with... Kylo. I looked down the ramp and saw him kneeling, holding Han's lucky dice in his hand. He glanced up and I saw his face was streaked with sweat and tears.

"The First Order is going to be after you soon. Leave." He said quietly.

I heeded the warning and closed the ramp and door, severing the connection. I wouldn't say I give up on him, but I'm not going to keep trying to persuade him to turn. His fate isn't mine to decide. So I'll sit back and let everything unfold.

I went to the lounge on the ship to sit and rest. I was stopped by a young man with messy, curly hair and dark eyes and a bright grin.

"Hi!" He greeted.

"Hi!"

"I'm Poe Dameron, nice to meet ya."

"I'm Rey, good to meet you too." I replied with a smile. He grinned wider.

"I know, Finn talks about you a lot, all good things."

"Yeah, he's a great friend. He tells me you're the best pilot in the fleet?" I question. He nods snuggly.

"The one and only! I saw that you are a pretty strong pilot yourself." I nod too.

"Perhaps one day we could have a competition to see who's better? Better flyer, better shooter, y'know. Fly out anywhere run by the Order with a swarm of TIEs for targets." He suggested. I thought for a moment.

"Yeah that would be awesome!" I replied.

"Alright! We'll work out more details on that later, but right now, I believe General Leia wishes to speak to you." He said leaning to look past my shoulder. I nodded and walked to Leia. We walked over to a bench in the lounge.

"Luke's gone. I felt the Force shift. He didn't die of pain or sadness, it was of peace and purpose." I said.

"I felt it too." She said. I glanced over at Finn, he was digging through compartments for something. There's a girl on the medical bed in front of him. Finn pulls out a blanket and covers her and kisses her forehead. I smile at that, he's found someone. I thought of Ben.

When I woke up after the blast, I had half of the lightsaber in my hand. I got up and saw Kylo was unconscious. I walked over to him, the other half of the saber laid in his open palm. He had blood dripping down the side of his face. Kneeling next to him, I carefully took the other saber half out of his hand. I touched his face, running my thumb over the scar I branded him with.

"I'm sorry. I can't force your turn to happen. It's your choice, and I'll leave it for you." I whispered and leaned to kiss his forehead. After that, I stole an escape craft and headed to the rendezvous spot for Chewie.

"Kylo's stronger than ever. He's got an iron grip on the galaxy, how are we going to build a Rebellion from this?" I asked, gesturing to the saber halves. Leia smiles and placed her hand on mine.

"We have everything we need." She said reassuringly.

"When we get some place safe, I have to tell you about some really strange and somewhat disturbing occurrences that happened. It's private, if anyone else heard, it could cause serious issues, and I feel that you need to know." I said. She nodded, understanding the importance.

"So, do we know where we're going?" I asked, unsure of our heading. "Yes. Yes we do. The safest place we could ever be." She said shortly.

Things are going to change. There is a storm coming our way, we'd best be ready.