Chapter 13~ Acceptance and Denial

Rey's POV

  The fight is over and I've never felt so powerful. It's hard imagining how I lived my whole life oblivious to my abilities. I can hardly believe that Ben killed Snoke. I thought, for a moment, that I really was wrong to believe he could turn against him, but he did. Other than our fight on Starkiller Base, I've never seen him in full battle mode. He tore through those guards with such aggression. It was a bit frightful but impressive to say the least. That's why everyone is so afraid of him. His abilities with the Force and his fighting skills have branded him a savage. A savage he may be, but he's not all bad. Of course murder is never justified, though...

Catching a breath, I remembered the fleet. I ran over to the view-port and saw the First Order ships were still firing at the Resistance.

"The fleet! Order your men to stop firing! There's still time to save the fleet!" I shouted, fear for my friends rising. Ben stood over Snoke's severed body, looking more lost than ever, until I said his name.

"Are you alright, Ben?" I whispered.

"That's my old name. Remember what I told you the other night? "Let the past die." Now is the time. Snoke, the rebels, all of it, let them die. Rey... I want you to join me. We can leave the First Order and the Resistance and rule together. Bring a new order to the galaxy." My heart dropped. He wants to rule everything... maybe what I saw was wrong?

"Please don't do this, don't go this way, Ben." I pleaded.

"No, no! You're still holding on, let go! Nothing can bring me back..." He shouted, lowering his voice at the last bit. "Don't you want to know the truth about your parents? Or have you always known?" He asked. He was right. I've always known, and I've always held out hope for nothing. The fight to hold back my emotions was lost, tears slipped out now that I accepted the truth.

"You do. You've only locked it away. You know the truth. Say it, accept it." He whispered, walking closer to me.

"They were nobody..." I said quietly.

"Filthy junk rats that sold you off for drinking money. Left you on that wasteland to die. You have no place in any of this, really. Basically, you're nothing. You come from nothing, and that makes you nothing." His voice hinted at anger as he explained, then his eyes softened. He stepped closer and bent to be eye level with me, his hands wrapped on my upper arms gently.

"But not to me." The tears stopped in their tracks and my heart hammered in my chest. I spent all my life believing I was nothing. I believed I'd never be anything but nothing, until I heard those words. It would mean a lot to hear those words, but hearing it from him, strange but comforting, means even more. It's hard to comprehend that only a couple weeks ago, everything on Starkiller transpired and now, I've grown to care for the most hated man in the galaxy.

"Join me. Stand by me. Please..." Ben begged, holding his hand out for me to take.

"I can't. I can't leave my friends, I have to help. You come with me, please don't do this."

"If I did, it would only put you in more danger. Hux would take over and he would stop at nothing to destroy everything, only to rebuild it in his image. I can't let that happen, and I couldn't put you in such danger. Please, Rey." He was right, it is too dangerous.

"No. I have to help my friends. Do what you will." I said. With the Force I called the lightsaber to me from his belt. It paused in mid flight and I saw Ben's arm reached out for it too. His eyes looked hurt from the rejection.

He would not let it go. Both of us kept pulling, the Kyber crystal inside was cracking, until the saber split in two. The blast from the breaking crystal was as powerful as any bomb. As soon as I hit the floor, unconsciousness took over.