Chapter 10~ Disappointing Discovery

Rey's POV

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. It's the only way to become what we're meant to be..." When the connection ended, the Force was pulling my attention. I realized what I should do. I want answers and now I know where to get them.

I followed the Force to the black hole in the island. I climbed down a few boulders and it came in sight. The black hole has some black rock substance stretching around it like veins. The moment I crouched down to look inside, I was pulled in.

I was falling, and it seemed I would never land. But I did, in freezing water. I couldn't reach the surface, I was panicking. The water stung my eyes and burned in my lungs. I've never learned to swim, I guess now might be the time to do it. I willed my arms to push me up and kicked my legs to help. Soon I reached the surface. I gasped and coughed for a few minutes.

Crawling onto the rocky platform, I finally stopped coughing. In front of me stood a strange reflective wall, like a mirror of stone. I saw myself, drenched and hair completely undone. When I stepped closer to the stone, I could see through it. Or maybe I was seeing through myself. I reached out and touched the stone, so did the reflection. I turned around and saw an ongoing line of... me? I looked back and there was just one of me. Im inside the stone?

Turning back to the trail of Reys, I noticed that they all did what I do. I raised my hand, turning it back and forward, they all did the same, one after the other. I snapped my fingers, one by one, the snaps went down the line. Something was telling me this line didn't go on forever. I willed myself forward, molding into the body and conscience of every Rey after the next. This went on for a while. I finally reached an end. Yet again I stood before the stone wall, but I couldn't see beyond it. The Force vibrated around me, iminating from the stone wall. This is it. This should give me my answers. I reached my hand up to it, pressing my fingers to the cool stone.

"Let me see them, my parents. Who are they?" I asked, afraid I know who I may see, afraid I might not know. I saw two shadows approach from beyond the stone, but then they fused into one shadow. The shape of the shadow was much taller than me, large. There was something eerily familiar about the shape of it, I know who this is, only I can't see them to confirm. Just a dark shadow.

Around my hand, the stone changed and became just my reflection. I realized I was back in my original body and mind when I dropped to my knees in the cave. I learned nothing. I didn't see anyone, I wasn't shown anything more than a shadow. What was I to do with this lack of knowledge? Despair washed over me, a ton of tears fell along with the water dripping from my hair and face. Looking back at my reflection, I knew who I had to talk to. Luke wouldn't be too thrilled to hear that I came here, and after what Kylo told me, I don't think I should stick around for too much longer. I climbed out of the cave and headed out into the rain. Thunder rumbled a few miles out.

When I got to the hut I claimed, I wrapped myself in a blanket and paced, trying to concentrate in an attempt to open up the connection. I need to talk to him again, I think he would understand having seen into his mind, I know he understands loneliness better than most. As I paced and thought about the cave, the sadness and pain flooded over again. I sat down on the stone bench, pulled my knees up, and buried my face.

"Rey? You okay?" I jumped a little when I heard his voice. He was really quiet, and sounded truly concerned. I shook my head.

"I went into this cave, the whole place had a strong dark presense. I went there because I knew it would show me something. This stone had a trail leading somewhere, a trail of my reflection. I knew it was leading somewhere." I started. He sat down next to me, as if he was really here. He knitted his brows together, trying to imagine it.

"That's very strange. As a kid, Luke told me about when he went to a remote planet, Dagobah, where he went into this cave and it showed him something disturbing. Tell me more..." He said.

"At the end of the trail, the stone showed 2 shadows, and they just merged into one. I learned nothing. I was hoping I would find out who my family was, but nothing. The shadow only turned back into my reflection. I've spent all these years waiting for them to return, all these years alone. Now I feel more alone than ever." I finished. I let out a shaky sigh. Kylo... or rather Ben, gave me a sympathetic look, his eyes had gone soft and his face relaxed.

"You're not alone. I... I'm here." He said softly. I looked into his dark eyes, and I felt comfortable with him here. I wasn't afraid or angry for once. With him next to me, it was almost as if I could reach out and touch him. The scar I branded him with, his thick black curls.

"And neither are you. It isn't too late. You could come back." I whispered.

I reached my hand out, hoping that maybe I could touch him through the connection. He looked at my hand, then removed the glove from his own. He looked back into my eyes and I got lost in his. Our fingers touched and we both jolted. I saw a vision. Ben and I, side by side together. No malice or evil intent. It was just us.

"You already know the truth, whomever your waiting for, they're never coming back. But there is someone who still could. The belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

Maz's words were now clear, and so was the shadow in the stone mirror! The Force is trying to tell me that HE is the one constant in my future. Suddenly the door to my hut flew open and Luke rushed in.

"STOP!" He shouted. Wait, could he actually see Ben?! I looked back to see if he was still there and he disappeared. If Luke could see him, that means the physical contact must've made us fully manifest in each others location.

"Is it true?! Did you try to murder him?!" I shouted. Luke's anger made every rock of the hut blow out from the center. The rain pelted is as well. Luke stormed away.

"Leave this island! Now!"

"No! Not until you tell me the truth!" I shouted back.

"You opened yourself to the dark for a pair of pretty eyes!" He kept on going away, my anger boiled over and I cracked him on the back of the head with my staff. He fell and summoned a lightning rod to his hand and lunged at me. After taking and dodging a few swings he knocked my staff out of my hand, which I quickly replaced with his lightsaber a few yards away. He fell onto the steps behind him, now at my mercy. I put down the lightsaber. His breathing was labored but he finally spoke.

"He was still asleep. I looked into his mind and saw his heart had already been turned. I had to stop it. But when I pulled away from his thoughts, I saw the eyes of my nephew, a scared boy who'd been failed by his master." He explained, shame laced his voice.

"You failed him by thinking his choice was made, it wasn't. When we touched hands, I saw his future, as solid as I see you. If I go to him, Ben Solo will turn." I said. He looked at me with strong uncertainty.

"Don't do this Rey. This is not going to go the way you think." He warns me. Things never do actually. I held the lightsaber out to him as a last minute invitation for him to come with me. He looked down, not willing to leave.

"Then he's out last hope. If not, then you and I need to step up." With that I ran down to Chewie to prepare for the journey back.

(Time Skip)

After a few hours, I finally dried off and found a new set of brown and grey-blue robes that resemble my scavenger attire. I decided not to waste time redoing my hair so I just brushed out the knots from the wind and left it in the half up- half down style.

Chewie had the escape pod ready for me. He wasn't too thrilled about my plan but he was still supportive, even if it meant failure. I climbed into the pod.

"Hey Chewie, remember the plan: as soon as we get to that ship, drop me off and make the jump immediately after. If you see Finn before I do, tell him-" Chewie cut me off with a chain of growls.

"You're safe and will be here shortly." ("Reylo is real")

"Yeah, perfect, tell him that." I said. I settled into the escape pod and waited out the journey to the ship.