Prologue

"Jiya, Daniyal come. We need to talk." Rehman said to his children as he called them in the living room where his wife was already sat.

"Yes Baba, is everything alright?" Jiya asked her Father as she looked towards her brother, Daniyal, with accusing eyes.

Daniyal's eyes widened as he realized what she was implying. "I didn't do anything. Right, Baba?" Daniyal couldn't be so sure as he was a lot of the times in trouble for a lot of things.

"Yes, everything is alright." Mehrunnisa, their mother said smiling at Jiya as she sat besides her and then narrowed her eyes at Daniyal. "No, you're not in trouble."

Daniyal exhaled a huge breathe and was about to say something when his Father interrupted him. "For now."

Daniyal's smile disappeared and sat up straight in the single sofa.

"So what do you guys need to talk about?" Daniyal asked hastily in an attempt to divert the parents attention.

"You guys know that Uncle Qadir's daughter Nazneen is getting married in about 3 weeks." Rehman was about to continue when Jiya interrupted him by adding.

"With Aunty MahJabeen's son Shams, yes, we are aware of it." Jiya said with disinterest.

"Then you might also be aware that we have to attend the wedding." Mehrunnisa replied sarcastically at the remark made by Jiya.

"Why?" Daniyal whined. "Why do we have to attend the wedding?"

"Because it's my sister and brother's children getting married. That's why." Rehman glared at his son to tell him to shut up and not fuel Jiya's anger or encourage her.

"But Baba we-" Jiya was interrupted in the middle when her Father raised his hand in a signal to stop talking.

"We are going, that's final. I have already booked the tickets for the day after tomorrow." With that Rehman left the living room.

"Mamaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Jiya turned to her mother who was sitting besides her and made the face of a kicked puppy.

"Jiya, you know we have to go there one day. Right?" Mehrunnisa asked her daughter calmly.

"But I don't want to." Jiya whined like a little kid and her mother just shook her head and told her firmly.

"Jiya, you had your Nikkah with him. You will have to face him. No matter what." With that she also left the way her husband did which only annoyed Jiya more.

"What do I have to do to make them understand that I don't want to live with that goat faced, bird eyed guy, fat guy that I don't want to get married to him!" Jiya just slumped in the sofa and looked at a painting behind Daniyal.

Daniyal also turned his head to look at the painting then turned his head back towards his sister and stood up to sit besides her then he started in a soft voice with a ghost of a smile, looking at the same painting.

"You should talk to him. He isn't that bad of a guy and anyways he isn't him." When Daniyal said him like that she turned her head towards him in lightning speed but he just turned his head towards her slowly and then shrugged his shoulders.

"You know I'm right." With that he stood up and walked towards the stairs that led to the first floor where his and Jiya's rooms were.

He turned and saw Jiya with a pained expression on her face. "Hey" He got her attention then he added. "Just think about it. Promise me." He asked tentatively, hesitantly.

She just nodded at him and looked down at her hands, sitting in silence contemplating her past, present and possible future.

Daniyal just hoped that she would come to the right conclusion and make the right decision.

He could just hope, sit back and try to get through the ride without interrupting.

And he never thought that he would feel more helpless then at that moment with his sister's head bent and eyes reflecting the pain of the past and of the heart that she still had to let go of and move forward.

He had never felt more helpless.

.

"What's happening out there?" Arsal asked his sister as he entered the kitchen.

"What do you mean?" She asked him distracted by the cake she was decorating.

"Why is Amma shouting at everyone and why are there preparations taking place like the Prime Minister is coming to our house?" Arsal pointed at all the half done and almost done dishes in the kitchen.

"You don't know Arsal?" Nazneen asked him while still busy with her Cake.

"What don't I know?" He asked her as he swiped a bit of icing from the cake. She slapped his hand away and glared at him.

"It's just that-" Nazneen was cut off when they heard their Father calling him.

"ARSAL, COME HERE." Qadir shouted thinking that his son was in his room upstairs but he came out of the kitchen.

"Yes Abba?" He questioned as he was folding his sleeves up to his elbows.

"C'mon we have to go to the airport. I am taking my car and you follow me in yours." After saying that to him his father shouted again so that his mother would know that they were going.

"SHAHEEN WE'RE LEAVING FOR THE AIRPORT." He shouted and just then his mother replied.

"We aren't deaf in this house that you keep shouting like that Mr. Qadir." She was coming out of the gate to their right.

"Shaheen I thought you were upstairs or in the back lawn or something. I didn't know that you were just there." His father said calmly as he pointed towards the door she emerged from.

"Anyways we have to leave for the airport now. Allah Hafiz." With that his father was walking out of the main door towards the cars parked under the shade.

"Abba wait, why are we going to the airport?" Arsal asked him as he started walking besides him.

"To see the carnival." Qadir replied to him as he opened his car's door then looked at him and said. "To pick someone up." With that he sat down in his car and started the engine.

Arsal walked to his car, opened the door and sat down. Just as a thought entered his mind. This is not going to end up good. Whatever this is.

He started the car and followed his father out of the compound.

Vote and Leave a Comment