Chapter 1

Arsal.

When we arrived at the airport I parked my car next to dad's car since I still had no idea who we were picking up and if they would be at the domestic arrivals or the international arrivals

I got out of the car and went to Dad and we started walking towards the entrance to the airport. When dad turned towards the domestic arrivals, the warning bells in my head went off.

No, it couldn't be. I told myself. We hadn't even talked to each other since that day, since they left.

Ya Allah! Please let it be anyone but them. Please. I sent a silent prayer to Allah as we arrived at the domestic arrivals.

After a few minutes Uncle Rehman and Aunty Mehrunnisa came out of the sliding doors. Maybe she didn't come with them. Maybe Daniyal and her stayed behind. They had done that a few times in the past two years.

When Rehman Uncle reached us him and Dad hugged each other and then Rehman Uncle hugged me next. Mehru Aunty patted me on the head and said Salam to dad.

"The kids didn't come with you guys?" Dad asked them when Rehman Uncle looked behind him.

"They were just behind us..- there they are!" Rehman Uncle said as he spotted them coming out of the doors.

At first I could only see a guy who looked like Daniyal but because of the sunglasses I couldn't be sure but then my eyes fell on the girl behind him and I am sure I forgot to breathe.

She looked nothing like I remembered. Gone was the nest from her head and instead her hair was straight, she now had a Ray Ban sunglasses on her head, she had on nail polish, lip gloss and maybe a bit of makeup.

She was wearing a sweater type long sleeved loose shirt with maroon skinny jeans or maybe tights and a simple black sandal I think.

Daniyal and her came and greeted dad. Daniyal moved and gave me a hand shake but she didn't even look at me. Just kept her head towards dad and her family.

I just kept my head down but took the trolley that Rehman Uncle was pushing from him and then we moved towards the cars.

When all of the luggage was put in the trunks dad said something to Rehman Uncle and he nodded then dad came towards me and Rehman Uncle went towards Her.

"I'm gonna take Rehman, Mehrunnisa and Daniyal home with me, why don't you take Jiya in your car, hmm?" Dad asked or told me, I couldn't be sure.

"I don't..." I couldn't even start the sentence when he patted my shoulder gave me a smile and said.

"Don't stay out too long for lunch, okay?" Then he smiled to himself and left to get to the car.

I just looked after him and then turned my head to look at her as I saw her looking at me.