Chapter 7

Jiya.

Arsal just sat there not moving or talking just breathing and looking off somewhere maybe nowhere

I waited for him to start talking, to say something for a while before my patience wore thin.

"Arsal." I didn't have that much patience nor time.

"I..." He started but then left the sentence hanging.

Then he suddenly asked me. "You remember when we had our Nikkah?" He looked like he wanted to tell me something else but...

"What do you mean if I remember?" I was really confused right now to be honest. Of course I remember our Nikkah. How can I forget that, that night changed my life.

"You remember when you overheard me fighting with someone on the phone that night?" He was now looking at me willing me to remember that fight that I had overheard but I don't think I remember much. And how did he even know I overheard him.

"How did you know I heard that?" That was the question I wanted the answer to I had thought that I had hidden myself good enough at the time.

"I saw your reflection in the window." He answered me a little impatiently and then added. "Do you remember what I was talking about?"

"Not much really. I hadn't even thought about it before tonight. It's all a little fuzzy." I had been too busy to remember him having some fight on the phone with someone because right after that our Nikkah took place and then Rayan's accident happened and I hadn't a moment to spare on trivial things.

But right now it seems pretty important to him that I remember about that fight.

"Why?" I asked him with total confusion on my face.

"Just try to remember. Please!" He was half pleading now and I thought I can give it a thought.

"I remember you mentioned someone's name. What name I don't remember and that you had never made some promise." I could only remember bits and pieces of the conversation because of three reasons, first was that our Nikkah took place, second was that the accident with Rayan happened and third because I hadn't actually heard a lot because of my position only some bits of the conversation.

"But you kept talking about a promise." That was the most prominent thing from that conversation I remembered.

"Yeah, a promise I never made." He muttered his eyes hard with anger. I don't get it what does he want to tell me? And why is this promise so important to him. And most importantly what does it have to do with me?

"I made a mistake back in university." He was looking at me now, his eyes letting me know of his guilt and regret.

"What did you do?" I asked him softly. My hands covering his hands.