Chapter 8

Arsal.

The whole day I noticed that Jiya kept avoiding me, ignoring me and running away from me

When I went to the dining room in the morning for breakfast only us young kids were there. Shams, Daniyal, Ruhail, Naina, Kiran, Jiya and Me.

Kiran, Ruhail and Daniyal were busy teasing Shams and Naina with occasional sly comments from Jiya but when I walked in the kitchen it looked like everyone's attention turned towards me and Jiya including Shams and Naina's.

"This must be like a reminder of the good ol' day for you two... hmmm..??" Kiran who was sitting besides Jiya, she nudged her and looked at me pointedly.

Jiya just kept her eyes focused on her breakfast and I just shrugged my shoulders. "What do you mean?" I questioned her innocently at which Jiya looked up at me with narrowed eyes.

"She means... You know... A Nikkah ceremony took place in this same house not too long ago, with everyone that now present for this Nikkah ceremony." Ruhail swept his hands in the air to tell me which house he meant.

Then leaned forwards a little and conspirately whispered looking at me. "Don't you remember?" He really stretched the you out.

I gave him a thoughtful look then motioned him to lean closer to me.

"I don't." I told him like it was the worst thing in the world that I couldn't remember it.

"Well... Jiya remembers, right?" Naina turned towards Jiya with a sly smile.

Jiya looked at her for a minute, thinking. "How can I forget?" Was her serious answer that sobered Naina and the rest of us up.

Jiya focused back on her breakfast as there seemed to hang an incredibly awkward silence among us all. Specially with Jiya acting so indifferent.

"So... everyone has their clothes ready?" Shams asked us all and Kiran, Ruhail and Daniyal gave enthusiastic replies with Jiya and me nodding along.

.

After the breakfast when all the ladies were in the lounge discussing the plan for the Beauty Parlor which had already been booked in advance for Naina, Jiya and Kiran.

The problem was who was going to take them.

Me, Daniyal and Ruhail were standing by the stairs and listening to their conversation which consisted of Jiya saying 'I can drive us there and back.' and Ammi saying 'You don't know the way and Naina is not good with directions.' To which both were huffing and puffing.

Ruhail looked at me very cryptically and when I asked him "What?" He just shrugged at me and went to the ladies offering his assistance.

I just shook my head and went to make sure that the Qazi was still on for this evening for the Nikkah.