HE'S•JUST•SLEEPING

Zach's POV

I opened the door only to see my dad with tubes in his arms and all over his body, and dried blood and stitches all over his body.

As I walk over to his hospital bed, more warm tears fall down my face. I sit on the small couch that is facing his bed. The couch dips down, and Jonah wraps his arm around me.

Jonah started to rub his hands on my arms, calming me. Gosh. I don't know what'd I'd do without Jonah by my side.

Jonah and I just sit there in silence. I'm okay with it though. It gave me time to think about how or why this happened. It could have been any lady, yet the description was almost like my moms.

If it was her, was it to get back at my dad. Or it could have been because she thought I was in the car. Maybe she was trying to get rid of me. She always called me a child of Satan. I am wearing girl clothes right now.

Knock. Knock.

Someone knocked on the door.

"Come in" Jonah said hugging me tighter. In walked two police officers. One was taller than the other.

"Hello boys. I'm officer Davis, and this is officer Garcia. We were wondering if we could talk to the son of Josh Herron, before we question his father when he wakes up from his coma." The taller officer, officer Davis said.

"I-I'm his son, Zach." I said quietly looking up at them.

"Is it okay if we question you?" He asks. I just nod my head yes, and he continues. "Do you want your friend to stay?" He asks me again.

"Yes please." I reply quietly. I don't feel safe without Jonah anymore.

"What's your name kid?" Officer Garcia asks Jonah.

"My name's Jonah sir." He answers. Both officers
nod their head before they start to question me.

"Had your father ever done drugs?" They ask
pulling a pen out to take notes.

"No. Not that I'm aware of at least." I answer.

"What does your dad do?" They ask me.

"He's a businessman. Before that, he worked for minimum wage at a grocery store." I answer.

"Why did he change into business?" I think officer Garcia asked. I wasn't looking at them.

"Him and my mom got a divorce, and he got custody of me, so he had to prove that he could get a good job to take care of me." I reply.

"Why did he get custody of you? What about your mom?" They ask.

"She... she didn't want me. That's why they got a divorce. I came out as gay to both of them and my mom wanted nothing to do with me. However, my dad accepted me and cared for me when my mom moved out before they officially got a divorce." I say a few more tears fall from my eyes.

The just nodded their heads humming in response writing down notes from what I just said.

"Do you think your mom could have done this?"
Officer Davis... I think, asked me.

"Maybe. The only thing I could think of, that would give her reason to, was if she was trying to hurt me." I say.

"Okay. Thank you so much for this information. We'll be back to question your dad when he wakes up. Good luck boys." Officer Davis says. They shake Jonah and I's hands before leaving.

I put my hand on top of my dads.
"Wake up soon. Please." I say quietly. I remove my hand and cuddle up into Jonah more.

"Hey." I hear Jonah say. "Look at me Zay" he continues. I look up into his hazel green eyes. "He's going to be okay. He's just sleeping. He's taking a long nap, but he'll wake up soon." Jonah says. I just give him a weak smile, hoping he's right.

"I'm going to the bathroom" I say before getting up and walking into the bathroom that's in his hospital room. I do my business and wash my hands, before looking in the mirror. I look like a mess.

I have really bad bags under my eyes, the whites of my eyes are red from all the crying, and my face looks drained of color and life. I wet a few paper towels before wiping off my lipstick that was faded on my lips. I wash the rest of my face and pat it dry, before walking out of the bathroom back to Jonah.

"Hey. Do you want me to got to your house, and get some clothes for tomorrow and pajamas for tonight?" He asks me, knowing that I don't want to go home tonight.

"Please" I say, only able to get one word out.

"Okay. I'll be back within the hour." He says standing up. I grab his hand. Jonah turns to look at me.

"Please be safe. I don't want the two people that mean the most to me to get hurt today." I say.

"Don't worry I'll be safe. I promise." He says. He leans back down to me, and kisses my cheek. He smiles at me softly before leaving.

Once Jonah was gone, my eyes were glued to my dad and the machines around him. The heart rate machine was beeping at a steady pace, the machines making sure my dad was breathing regularly.

It was scary. Not knowing when he was going to wake up. Knowing that his life was in the hands of strangers, relying on machines for him to live. It scared me.

Knock. Knock.

"I'm back." I hear Jonah's voice say. I look at the clock and see it's been almost an hour since he left.

"Hey" I whisper quietly as he sits down next to me. It's only two in the afternoon now, but I'm really tired. All of this has just drains me. Mentally and physically.

I lay my head on Jonah's shoulder, before closing my eyes and falling asleep.