Prologue: First Life

To start with, my life was never anything special. I'd never made any great accomplishments or did anything even remotely notable. Just a normal 16-year-old nobody with a lame part-time job. I never knew what it was like to have a family, as they were gone, and don't get me started on my school life.

My plain features were pale skin and dark black hair that was paired with blue eyes. I didn't stand out. I'd go unnoticed in all but the smallest of crowds.

My life had sucked and the only comfort and lasting companion of mine was anime. Naruto was actually one of my personal favorites.

(Not that I'd let anyone else know there was a single soft spot in my heart of steel. Even then, I always did prefer the villans over the heroes.)

Now, notice how during that whole plain story-of-my-life recap, I used was and had instead of am and have. There's a reason for that.

You see... I died.

In the most boringly plain way possible. A heart attack during my sleep, painlessly ridding the world of my plain existence. I even expected to go down that way, too. I'd always had heart problems during my short life, so dying in this fashion wasn't of a big surprise.

I didn't know what came after death. Maybe there was nothing and you just ceased to exist. Maybe you just floated in a void of darkness for eternity. Maybe heaven and hell existed. I didn't care.

The only thing I did care about was reincarnation. The topic had always interested me, and I found myself often wondering about it if it was real. No one could prove it.

Some fanfictions I read depicted Mary Sues keeping all their memories and having total free will, while others depicted having the protagonist's memories locked away or just simply being a second consciousness in someone else's life. Much like the Kyuubi is to Naruto.

It was all just so intriguing.

Soon after my death, I was greeted by the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen, and that was saying something. She had a white summer dress embroidered with delicate designs and decorated with creamy pearls. Her dainty translucent skin was smooth and soft, almost like mine. But what struck me the most were her eyes. Her stunning blue eyes were so similar to mine, yet so different. While mine were dull and lifeless, hers were bright and so full of life; easily enrapturing anyone foolish enough to stare for long enough.

Almost anyone.

I was among the small minority. I would never let myself get fixated on something as dumb as some stranger's eyes.

The smile on her face wavered.

She walked towards me slowly, with her smile fixed onto her face. I stared back at her with the blankest look I could muster. Inside, though, I was very curious.

"Hello there, welcome." She stated warmly. Her voice was beautiful, almost like an ang-

I had realized at that point that I was dead. No doubts about it.

"You are, in fact, dead, but please make no mistake. I am not an angel. I am kami, or literally, a goddess. The whole 'heaven and hell' is just a myth, but I digress. While normally you'd be taken straight away by shinigami-san, as all humans are, I'd like to make a deal with you. You see, you're a special case." She frowned but quickly schooled her face into a neutral mode. I still saw a twitch. "Your soul... is actually part cat. I honestly don't know how that's possible, or why I wasn't previously aware, but you have nine lives. Since you've lost your first life in a rather undermining way, I would like to help in your second to ninth life. I need someone to help change the events of an alternate dimension to save hundreds of thousands of lives, and you seemed like the best choice. Your knowledge and intellect will definitely help." Kami explained. She mumbled something else that I couldn't hear, but the word 'back' was mentioned.

This seems oddly familiar... almost like every SI fanfic ever. And kami used 'life' a lot in her introduction... Eh, irrelevant information.

I then dubiously asked with a bewildered expression, "Part cat? That seems really odd. Why in the world would my soul be part cat?"

"As I said, I am unaware as to how or why. But should you accept, you might just find out."

Well, there's no reason to decline, I suppose.

"So it seems like its a world that is known on earth. Possibly depicted in a show or movie. May I ask which one?" Crossing my arms together, I thoughtfully knew by this point what she was referring to.

She gave me a friendly smile, however, I could see the amusement in it.

"Of course. Its dimension J.A.K. 2497, also known as... Naruto."

My dubious and unemotional face fell away to reveal the raw awe, and I daresay happiness.

After a while of staring, I spoke once more.

"Where do I sign?" She lightly giggled at me in response before jokingly handing me a pen and paper, where I indulged in my whims and wrote my name on the dotted line. Much to my surprise, the name I had written changed into another name, one much different than the one I had just written.

"Welcome to your new life as Bāsuto Hanadji."

)-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-(

Hello, JustSk8n here giving you another great story (hopefully). I've been planning this story for well over a month now and I hope that my execution of it is as I hoped it would be.

I don't own Naruto, Kishimoto does, this'll be the only time I'm saying this :)

Note: forgot to mention, updates will probably be really really slow. I'm very lazy and love to procrastinate. Leads to an incredibly low amount of actual productivity.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share!

See you in the next chapter

-Sk8n

Edited June 26, 2020 by Anjo