2 | MELANIA

Darkness. All was darkness.
I stood in a bleak state of nothingness.
Nothing; everywhere.

And then there was a spark of bright light, and there she was, in all her glory.
Eyes shining like crimson fireworks, her skin pale, and her hair golden, radiating like the sun.

She looked directly into my eyes, and said in a voice clear as crystal, "Melania."
Then again, "Melania. Melania, wake up!"

My eyes snapped open, my breathing frantic, my heart sounding like the fast beat of a drum. It was almost as if it was going to come out of my chest, though I knew that that would not happen.

"Melania!" A voice said again, and it wasn't the sweet musical sound I heard on my dreams. No. It was the voice of my most trusted friend, and roommate Janet.

I sighed deeply. I'm pretty sure, that inside my head, I was disappointed that it wasn't my dream beauty, but nevertheless, I trotted downstairs to open the door for her.

"Did you really lose your key again?"

She stood outside, her arms crossed, a smile on her lips. She was waiting for me, completely drenched, from the thunderstorm last night.

"What do you think?"

***

With her just returning from work, she made sure to remind me, that as usual, I had only a few hours before I had to start my shift at the café.

Of course, being her energetic, bubbly self, and not caring at all that I had only just woken up, hugged me.

Baring in mind, she was sodden, I ended up with a face full of wet hair.

That, as you can probably imagine, was not pretty.

She laughed at the face I pulled, before making a face herself. A disappointed one.

I didn't know why she was disappointed, so I just stayed quiet and sat down on the couch. She sat down next to me, watching my every move.

As the silence got awkward, I got up for a drink.

Groaning, I walked to my kitchen holding my head. Even-though I had slept, I still felt as though I hadn't.

"You look ill." Janet said, from behind me, making me jump, and my heart to beat at an extremely face pace.

She literally just appeared out of nowhere!

I didn't know what I looked like to her, but I definitely felt worse than I did when I went to sleep.

"I'm fine," I said, brushing it off as nothing, and standing up, "I can still go to work."

But she pushed me down.

"No, you ain't girl. I'll go, and tell that you are ill."

She picked up her coat, and walked out the door.

"I'll be about 10 minutes at the most."

I slumped down on the couch, closed my eyes, and waited.