8 | JANET

Stumbling round a corner, I couldn't see what was behind me, chasing me, all I knew, that whatever it was, was something that was trying to catch me.

It was almost inhuman, and although it looked human, from what short glances I glimpsed, it moved with incredible speed, quicker than than the human brain could comprehend.

I was walking to the café where Melania and I worked, when I first had a feeling that someone was watching me. They kept hunting me like they were a wild animal, tearing at my clothes, edging me ever so closely to the harbour.

Now, in the rain, I couldn't see a thing, never-mind my attacker, and as the floor was slippery like an eel, running wasn't an option.

Backing away from the creature, I came to the edge, and fell.

I screamed, and a hand, pale white, and strong, grabbed mine.

A man loomed over me, and hauling me back over the edge, and onto land, I thought he was my saviour.

How wrong I was.

He smiled sweetly at me, before letting me catch my breath.

"I'm sorry, babe."

I was confused, what...

"What for?" I questioned.

And speeding towards me was a female redhead, speeding towards me with ferocity.

In a few seconds, she was behind me, and pulling my head from my shoulder, she made it so that my neck was strained.

I looked to the man, and he looked away.

"Welcome to the army." She whispered in my ear.

And then she plunged her teeth into my neck.