31 | MELANIA

It took longer than I had expected to get ready.

Obviously I knew panicking wouldn't help me, but it still ebbed at the back of my mind, as a wave of anxiety passed over me.

I bit my lip, and wrung my hands, as I stopped just in front of the wooden door, to take a breath, desperately hoping that that would calm my anxiety and thus my racing heart.

It wasn't irrational my fear of wanting to look my best in front of literal royalty, but I knew that if I wanted to stay here, then I would have to get over it at some point; sooner rather than later.

Even after a couple of years, I still held fond memories of my mother close to my heart, as she taught me the life lessons that I needed to know for future reference.

One of the many lessons that she taught, was that first impressions were the ones that mattered the most.

I nearly wanted to not do this, to back down, and call upon Jane to take me back home, back to the apartment that Janet and I used to share together.

However I knew that would kill me inside, because so far away from the one I loved, and I knew that my mother if she could would raise from the dead, just to give me a very threatening word.

Smiling in fondness, remembering her, up there in heaven, with my father, I knew at that point that if I was going to do this, I would do it not only for me, but for my mother also.

Gently taking the handle to the door, I pulled it open, and closed it behind me, as I stepped out into the empty hallway.

A soft glow surrounded each of the torches that were strung up on each of the walls, and I watched as light danced across the patterned carpet floor in front of me, before being completely covered in the large shadow, indicating it to be a corner that most likely lead to another corridor.

I gritted my teeth as I didn't see Jane, but unclenched my jaw, as I saw her walking towards me, a boy that I knew to be her twin by her side.

They approached me calmly, walking at a human speed, their black cloaks floating behind them.

Damn I got to get me one of those.

A smile tugged at Jane's lips as she came to stand in front of me, clearly amused at something.

"I said that out load, didn't I?" I grumbled, wanting nothing more than to throw myself back into the bed, and bury my head in the pillows.

They both laughed, before the boy stepped forward to introduce himself.

"My name is Alec, and I am this idiot's brother."

Jane scowled, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "This idiot is still here you know."

I felt my mouth unconsciously lift up as a smile at the comment, as it instantly reminded me of Janet and our relationship. Eventhough we were totally unrelated, we had had something akin to a sibling bond, like the one presented in front of me.

A wave of sadness clouded my thoughts, as I realised I was probably never going to be able to see her again.

Sensing my discomfort, Alec took the opportunity to grasp my in his, and shook it gently, before he smiled and nodded to Jane.

"You two should probably go to the dining room. Caius was planning to meet you there."