It happened one time

"Hey sorry I'm late captains got me on the demonic murders" I hear a voice say out in the kitchen. Clary and I are still in my room doing our hair. I quickly run out of my room and straight into Luke's arms.

"Luke" I squeal while hugging him. Luke is the closest thing I have to a dad.

"Hey kid" he says pulling back from the hug and ruffling my hair. I groan playfully pushing his hand off my head.

"I just did the hair Luke" I joke. Clary finally makes it out into the living room and gives Luke a hug too. He pulls out a container of spray paint.

"I got you these" he says as she picks them up.

"Their perfect" she breathes out. Clary is planning on using them on Simons van. We're insisting that they change the band name.

"If I catch any of that on city walls" he points at us. "I will arrest you" clary opens her mouth to explain that she is going to put it on the van but he interrupts her. "And yes I'm talking to you aurora"

"It happened one time, Luke" I smile at him. He goes to ruffle my hair again but I grab his wrist causing him to smile and pull me in for another hug.

"The paint is for Simons van" clary explains to Jocelyn and Luke. She throws and arm around my shoulders. "We're insisting they rename the band"

"Oh yes please" Jocelyn sighs taking a sip of her tea. Luke points to the stele in my boot and to the stele in clary's pocket, looking relieved.

"Did your mom talk to you guys about those" clary pulls hers out and we look at it. I look back up at luke after examining the stele.

"The heirlooms? Yeah their beautiful" me and clary say at the same time. We do that sometimes and to be honest it kind of freaks me out.

"You're 18 now" his sentence is interrupted by clary.

"Guys I'm 18 it's not like I'm heading on some epic journey" clary tries to reason. I sigh I really hope they don't act this way on my 18th birthday in a couple of weeks.

"Oh but you are" Simon says putting an arm around me and clary's shoulders. "We are going out to eat after the show" 

"Why don't you come back here after"Jocelyn tries to convince us. "The city is not that safe right now" 

"Thanks joce but we're set" I say giving her a hug. I turn and give Luke a hug too. I whisper in his ear "luke  if I come back and Jocelyn doesn't have a ring we're gonna have a talk" I joke with him patting his shoulder.
—————————————
"Mom is so over protective lately" clary says leaning her head on my shoulder. I sigh I had noticed she was really overprotective lately too.

"Yeah I know" I breathe out. Simon, clary,Maureen and I are sitting on top of Simons van talking.

"Well maybe she's just defending you" Simon tries to reason with us while using his guitar as a pointer.

"Defending us from what" I ask Simon. Clary nods her head.

"Yeah, we spend all day in a studio" clary says Agreeing to my statement. "Our lives couldn't get more mundane" I nod my head at her statement. She's right I spend most of the day in a dance studio and she spends most of the day in an art studio.

" besides we don't know much from when she was young" I say to Maureen considering Simon already knows this. She shakes her head.

"So do what I do and get dirt from your relatives" that struck a cord for me. I don't know who my dad is and my moms dead, so I don't have any relatives but then again neither does clary. I stay quiet while clary answers Maureen. Simon must have noticed my discomfort because he grabs my hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze. I return his gesture with a smile letting him know that I appreciate it.