Parabatai

"I believe payment is rendered for defending the warlocks." Magnus says pulling out the ruby necklace from his pocket.

"I couldn't." Iz says shocked.

"Oh but you could." Magnus states dramatically. He walks behind her and clips the necklace around her neck. "And you should, the light woods have been wearing this for years. Besides it would look silly on your brother."

"How do we summon the memory demon?" Clary asks getting up from her spot beside me on the couch.

"Are you certain?" Magnus says looking at each and every one of us. Getting tired of sitting on the coffee table I get up and walk over to Izzy. "Summoning such a powerful demon could be lethal."

"I'll do anything to save my mother." Clary says seriously. What Magnus said though had me concerned. I really felt something bad was gonna happen. Seeming to sense my concerns I feel Iz grab my hand and then lays her head on my shoulder. It was her silent way of saying that everything would be okay and maybe it would.

"Okay." Magnus says respectfully. Magnus was a good man. I don't believe that the downworlders were treated right and I want that to change. "Pretty boy, get your team ready."

Jace steps forward but is soon stopped by Magnus. "I was talking about him."he says pointing to Alec causing me and Iz to snort. Magnus starts to walk off and snaps his fingers at clary and me. Signifying to follow him.

"Everyone wants the mortal cup." He states turning to us as we enter a new room. " don't trust anyone especially not the clave."

"Why should we trust you?" Clary rudely asks.

"You shouldn't." Magnus states honestly or maybe jokingly. "Only trust yourselves." As he finishes talking he hands Clary a book of chalks.

"They're beautiful." Clary breathes out. She was always the more creative out of us but I was always more reckless. I guess I know where I get it now. "What are they for?"

"If you want your memories returned you have to draw the pentagram to summon the memory demon." After Clary sets to work with the diagram Magnus gave her he turns to me. "There's only five people that can go at a time I think you should sit it out."

"With all do respect Magnus I can do just as well as the others." I say to him. Not understanding why he didn't want me to help.

"Aurora calm down, for the record I think you are way more capable that the other four, but for this particular deal you would have to give up your most precious memory and you just got yours back." He states. I sigh and nod to him. "You can look through my personal library in the meantime if you want."

With a sigh I slink over to the library and start to look through the books. As if some higher power was telling me to, my fingers stopped over top of the spine of a black worn out book. I pull it out and blow the dust off of it. Parabatai's: a history. Flipping to the table of contents I see chapter titles like Jonathan and David, the oath, finding the right parabatai, and what does a parabatai do?

"The soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul." Alec says from behind me. I don't flinch at all. Alec's voice no matter how sudden had become calming to me.

"You and jace are parabatai right?" I ask curiously. I'm genuinely curious about parabatais. I look back at him and he nods his head. "So your like brothers?"

"No, it's more than that." He says coming around to stand in front of me. "When we fight we fight as one, any rune drawn by your parabatai is stronger than any other. It's stronger..." he stops abruptly.