The Partner Revealed (Part 4)

Pairing: Jughead Jones x Reader

Description: How will things unfold after Jughead stood up Y/N? How will the mystery of Jason's death be affected by Dilton's confession?

Warnings: None I can think of.

Word count: 3128

Y/N's point of view

Y/N wakes up, but stays in bed, not because it's comfortable – it's just her limbs that can't seem to move. She gets up after several minutes of lying down motionless. She looks at her reflection in the mirror glued on the back of her door, eyes puffy and red. "Was I crying?" A little confirmation as she runs her fingers down her wet cheeks.

She's angry, not at him, at herself, for thinking things could be different or that they would change. Her mind wondering why she even likes him. Is it the suspenders? Maybe the 'S' T-shirts? Could be the mystery underneath the crown-shaped beanie? Probably his sardonic humor? Possibly his way with words? Maybe it was everything in one, the combination of it all.

Her thoughts are interrupted by the phone vibrating. Text message:

From: Mom

Where are you?

From: Y/N

Wasn't feeling good so I stayed in. I'm heading to school now.

From: Mom

Glad you're ok, let us know if you need anything.

From: Y/N

Principal Weatherbee called you?

From: Mom

With everything that happened this summer I'm surprised he isn't already searching for you at the river lol :)

Y/N laughs at her mom using slang, and knowing who she got her humor from.

Principal Weatherbee is waiting for her when she arrives. He tells her about his worries about the classes she missed - twice in a row - fearing the reason could be 'Mr. Jones'. "I'd hate if your focus on school were deviated." She has to use all her self control not to laugh when he says the boy is not a great influence. She's not sure if it's because he may be completely right or entirely wrong about Jughead. He asks her to wait for the next class at the library.

Jughead's point of view

Jughead can't close his eyes, the guilt is eating him alive. "How could I have forgotten her?" Since that night by the river she has been a constant in his mind. Earlier that day she skipped class to make him feel better and he left her waiting at Pop's only to sit with the friend who left him hanging all summer, a raven-haired girl he only knew by name, and the perfect girl next door. He won't let that be the end of them.

Today is his turn to spend the morning looking for Y/N. Unfortunately, she's quite good at hiding, just like him. But he eventually finds her in the library behind a pile of books, her face buried in an open book. Before even entering the library, he just stands there for a moment, enjoying the way she looks, so peaceful and beautiful. Once he speaks to her, all that can change. He's not used to being this nervous, but there's a lot in stake now.

He gathers his entire courage and don't-give-a-damn attitude to sit in the chair in front of her, the wall of books still separating those young detectives. He moves them away to have a clear view of her face, still deep within what she's reading. "Y/N", he says softly, since she hasn't noticed his presence, or is simply ignoring him. "Hey, Jughead." She's so hurt he can feel that in those few words. It breaks him. "I have to apologize." He gives her a hand-made ticket granting a milkshake, fries and a burger at Pop's. "You don't have to do this." Her words are contradictory to her actions as she holds that single piece of paper with more care than any of her books, so carefully as if it was the most precious thing in the whole universe. "I do, and I want to." His face is showing the desperation for forgiveness.