Fools

"Uh oh, I know that face," Betty says, sliding into the booth after Veronica, "trouble in paradise?"

Y/N lifts her head off of her hands, tearing her gaze away from her untouched strawberry milkshake sitting in front of her.

"It's nothing," she says, "it's stupid."

"C'mon Y/N," Veronica says, "you know you can tell us anything that's bothering you."

"It's just...it's me and Juggie you know and I..." she trails off, shaking her head, "I feel like...I don't even know what I feel like but I'm scared that he doesn't...that I feel different..."

Betty furrows her eyebrows at the usually composed teen, tilting her head to the side.

"You...you're scared that Jughead doesn't feel the same way about you that you do about him?" She asks tentatively, shooting a concerned glance at Veronica.

Y/N nods, slumping back in her seat.

"You love him, don't you," Veronica says, eyebrows slightly raised.

"God we're just kids," Y/N says, holding her head in her hands, "we're sixteen freaking years old, I don't even know if I know what love is. But this...whatever this is it's more than just a passing feeling it's...it's deeper than that...stronger than that."

"You're in love," Veronica says, a smile on her face, "that's what that is Y/N, that feeling? That's what love is."

Y/N shakes her head, staring out the window.

"He deserves better than me," she whispers, biting down on her lip.

"God that's the problem with you two!" Betty exclaims, Y/N's attention snapping to the blonde. "You're in love with him and he's in love with you and it's a damn tragedy because you look at him and see the stars and he looks at you and sees the sun, and you both think the other is just looking at the ground."

Both Veronica and Y/N gawk at her, Betty shrugging unapologetically.

"It's true," she says, "both of you are completely head over heels in love with each other and you both are too scared to admit it."

Veronica looks at Y/N, shaking her head.

"Betty shut up," she says, sitting up straighter.

"No I'm not going to let them throw themselves pity parties because they're to-"

"No, Betty, shut up," Veronica says, holding up her hand to stop her, "there's more, this isn't just about that, is it Y/N?"

Betty looks at the other girl, noticing the way she's gnawing on her bottom lip.

"What is it?" She asks gently. "Did he...did you guys...?"

"No," Y/N shakes her head, a half smile on her face, "maybe someday but no. It's...it's this stuff with his dad. He's going through a lot right now and I feel like I don't know how to be there for him and I feel like...I feel like a failure of a girlfriend."

"Y/N that's crazy!" Betty says, shaking her head. "If anything, you go above and beyond what anyone else would do for him. That boy," Betty pauses, searching her mind for the right words, "he needs you, Y/N. Not in some messed up sociopathic type of way I mean just...he needs stability in his life, and you give him that. He cares about you, so so much."

Y/N nods, sighing deeply.

"Yeah, thanks Betts," she says, "just being overdramatic, that's all."

"Anytime," the blonde smiles, "anyways, I gotta get going, my mom needs me for some stupid register thing, I'll catch up with you guys later."

Veronica nods absentmindedly as the blonde leaves, her gaze still on Y/N.