[2] You Can Look, But You Can't Touch

~One week later~

Turns out the teenage guy's name is Jack. Jack Summers.

I think his last name is Summers, but that has yet to be 100% confirmed.

I only know this because he comes in to order a coffee.

Every day.

At the same time.

For the past week.

With one shot vanilla.

No sugar.

No cream.

To go.

I do not know his name because we're friends. We are not.

He has made that very clear.

He sits alone at a small table near the front counter. Everything about him screams "I will bite your head off!"

His jagged black hair is constantly untamed and his posture tense.

His to-go cup is just there so he can storm off easily in the case he gets irritated with me.

Which happens often.

He can tell that his aggressive movements unnerve me and it really bothers him.

I don't know why.

All I know is that it angers him further when I shrink into myself like a turtle when I see him. To see me avoid looking at his face causes him to clench his fists.

If my actions are like a turtle, his are like a porcupine. He's all guarded and every little thing he does is executed with the sole purpose of reminding you that he's covered in sharp quills.

You can look, but you can't touch.

I don't know why I'm so weird around him. I'm anything but shy. Yet, when he enters the room, my bubbly personality disappears and I choke on my words.

He currently is chewing on the inside of his cheek, causing his jaw muscles to tense with the action. He's looking down at his coffee cup, or some scratch on the table in front of him, I can't tell. Whatever it is, it probably doesn't have the full focus of his attention, as he's always lost in his thoughts. I almost chuckle at the thought of how sometimes he gets so occupied in examining his surroundings that even he bumps into things.

I notice that his hand twitches slightly; I also notice the bouncing of his legs beneath the wooden cafe table.

As I notice these things, he notices me staring.

I quickly look away and scramble to find something to busy myself with. He abruptly stands; the noise of the chair jolts me, causing me to look back up at him. He's the one examining me now.

He stalks over to the trash can and throws away his cup, never breaking the eye contact between us. As he turns I almost imagine a hesitation in his movements. The slight opening then closing of a mouth that wanted to say something. A minuscule twitch of a head that wanted to turn.

But my mother always said I had an active imagination.

He walked out the door with aggressive confidence and his head held high.

My mother was right.

That was the last time I saw Jack Summers.

------

AN:

I know this chapter is short, but don't you worry, things will get interesting real soon;)

So with this cliffhanger:

Why do you think Jack has mysteriously disappeared?

I have a few ideas, but give some suggestions and if I use yours (when the reason is revealed later on in the book) I will dedicate that chapter to you and mention you in a post on my wall as well as in my bio!!!

Plus I will love you forever

...so comment away my friends:)

Love,

Leah