ix. mcgonagall vs. umbridge

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

CHAPTER NINE. MCGONAGALL VS. UMBRIDGE

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The next few weeks had made Evangeline question whether or not she wanted to return to Hogwarts next year. This was only because Dolores Umbridge was working every nerve in her body, making the girl want to stab the woman to death.

The day after her detention, Vivian had found out about the punishment that her sister faced and was now out to get the woman that always wore pink. She too wanted to make the woman pay.

Things between Evangeline and Hermione had seemingly gone back to normal. Evangeline was back to ignoring her existence and Hermione was back to doing what she usually did, which was unintentionally annoy Evangeline making it difficult to ignore her.

Ronald Weasley had approached her a few days after her detention. He had apologized for making her late to class, which resulted in her getting detention and facing Umbridge's cruel punishment. Evangeline wasn't sure if he was truly sorry or if Hermione, or maybe even Harry, had made him apologize. Either way, she did not accept his apology. Instead, she insulted him and walked away. And though she wouldn't admit it, she didn't really blame him for the detention. Not anymore.

Currently, Evangeline was sat in the Great Hall, flipping through a book. She had a plate of food placed in from of her and would occasionally take bites of it. She was alone, not wanting her sister to sit with her that day. Evangeline felt as though Vivian only did it because she felt bad. She just couldn't understand that Evangeline truly didn't mind eating alone. Meal times were for eating, not talking to friends.

While she ate, an argument coming from outside of the dining hall caused her to stop and close her book. She noticed some other Gryffindors had heard the commotion as well. Evangeline stood, grasping onto her book and walking out of the dining room. On the main staircase stood Professor McGonagall and Professor Umbridge. The two were in a heated argument.

"Pardon me, professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?" Umbridge asked. "I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices," McGonagall said. She must have learned about Umbridge's form of detention. "So silly of me, but it sounds, as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom, Minerva," Professor Umbridge said, taking a step on the stair above her. Evangeline's lips pursed as Umbridge called Professor McGonagall by her first name.

By now, other Gryffindor students had gathered around her, all watching the scene unfold. "Not at all, Dolores," Professor McGonagall replied, also taking a step on the stair above her. "Merely your medieval methods." A small smile made its way onto Evangeline's face and she didn't care if anyone saw it. She had always liked Professor McGonagall. She took nothing from no one and was very admirable in Evangeline's eyes.