48. Fight For It

Mom had resorted to moving her work schedule around so that she could take me to and from school. Not that I minded the break from my peers on the bus.

She also lifted my punishment, giving my phone back and allowing me to leave the house for things other than school. None of it mattered since I didn't want to leave my room or communicate with anyone.

The drives to school were spent in silence. We had done enough talking the other night when I got home after talking to Miles. Or at least she did. I remained silent as she tried to backtrack and explain, once again, that the accident wasn't my fault.

I was having difficulty believing that.

The look on Miles's face haunted me. He had made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with me. No matter how hard I tried to shake it, I couldn't help but feel like he blamed me for what.

I only had one class with him. A class that took place during the first lunch block, making it easy for to me skip. I easily blended in with the rest of the kids hanging around during their lunch break.

I found my usual spot at the back of the library empty. The carpeted floor was uncomfortable to sit on, but at least no one was going to bother me while I started on homework.

That had been the routine for the past few days and it worked out flawlessly. But, as I was quickly learning, all good things came to an end.

"Well, now I know where the stench of sad, pathetic girl is coming from."

The grip on my pencil tightened at the sound of Vivian's smug voice, but I didn't give her the satisfaction of acknowledging her.

She must've been bored or really eager to start a fight because she continued with her rambling.

"Your break up with Miles wasn't all that surprising." I could hear the delight in her voice. For someone who claimed they weren't a mean girl she sure did play the part well. Kicking someone while they're down, real classy. "The only reason he was interested in you was because you were new and shiny. A distraction. But that effect wore off quickly."

It was only a matter of time before I snapped my pencil in half and who knew what I would've done with the pieces. I continued to ignore her as I packed up my things and stood up from the floor. That, however, did not stop her from talking.

"You've been losing a lot of things lately," she giggled, following me out into the hall. "Your boyfriend, you're probably going to lose that dress competition—let's be real, your designs are sub-par, and a little birdie told me the cheer uniform you designed came up missing."

That made me stop and turn to face her. She smirked, clearly feeling proud of herself. I didn't think she'd sink so low, but it made perfect sense. Who else would've stolen it?

"Where is it?" I asked, my teeth gritted.

She let out a fake gasp. "You don't honestly think I'd do something like that, do you?"

"What's the point of you even taking it?" I snapped. "I wasn't the only one working on it. Stealing it doesn't just hurt me."

"I didn't steal anything," she said in a painfully sarcastic tone. "But if I did it'd probably be because you needed to be knocked down a few pegs."

I grew more frustrated by the second, but I managed to stay level headed. "I'm not with Miles anymore," I told her. "That's what you claim this is about, right? Well, we broke up. He's all yours. So leave me the hell alone."

I turned to walk away. Vivian was relentless, though. Stopping me once again to go on another rant.

"Wow, it's that easy for you to give up on him, huh?"