The day after

Yes, I've skipped the interrogation. Jack had the others not say a word about his situation.

It was the next day and Titanium managed to stow away on the cargo hold of the airship. I was on the viewing bridge and looking out at the gathered kids.

"You okay, kid? Why aren't ch'ya saying bye to your kin?" The captain placed a heavy hand on my shoulder.

"Already did when I left the house."

"Ah. Very well then. Mind telling me why a giant robot's in the cargo hold?"

I cringed. It's a Titan, sir. "Oh, right. She belongs to me."

The captain chuckled, gave me a pat, then vanished onto the bridge. Kids began to walk on, paying me no mind. I watched as the Ice Queen walked on, a disgusted look on whenever she passed by someone. She almost passed me, but stopped.

Please don't tell me to turn around.

"Who are you?" She sounded... intrigued.

"Jack. Jack Auburn. You?" I didn't look at her.

"Weiss Schnee, heiress of the Schnee company. Pleasure to meet you, Jack." She reached out a hand.

Well, shit. Gotta turn.

"Like wise." I kept my head down, hiding my face.

She walked away, complaining about kids, and I subconsciously put my left hand up to my face. Underneath my tan hood, the scarred face of a seasoned Pilot hid. And I was only 17, turning 18. I've been a Pilot for a full year now, ever since I was able to drive by Earth standards. My past has been rough. I've been a Rifleman since 14, and despite what my older peers may think, I'm just as good with a rifle. Oh, and my military rank is Captain, just for the records.

"Hey! Remnant to Jack!" Ruby waved her hand in my face.

"Huh? Ruby? Wazzup?"

She scowled at me. "You staring at that girl, that's what!" The 15-year-old pointed at a girl reading a book.

I looked at her and blushed. "O-oops. I was just thinking about my past, really!"

She put on an evil grin. "Suuuuu-."

I cut her off by putting my hand on her mouth. Ruby ran off and I took a good look at the girl with the book. She had black hair, auburn eyes, and her outfit was pure black. If you ask me, she's kinda cute. Then again, I find a lot of girls cute, but she was super interesting.

Wonder what kind of person she is.

"Pilot, why are you thinking that?" Titanium whispered in my ear.

Titanium. Cut it.

I heard her giggle. Frowning, I turned my attention outside and watched the news play on holo projectors.

"Last night, the notorious criminal Roman Torchwick tried a robbery on a local Dust shop. Witnesses say a rouge Atlas soldier and his never-before-seen mech rushed in and stopped the robbery dead in its tracks. Roman Torchwick managed to escape custody, sadly. If you have any information containing the wear-about of the nefarious criminal, contact the Vale police department. Thank you."

I snorted. "Tips usually are weeks old."

Leaning on the window, I watched the clouds roll under us. Suddenly, the clouds parted to reveal a beautiful school. I naturally gasped, then smiled, happy to resume the education I put behind me when I picked up a rifle. Kids around me gasped as well and someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, keeping my head down.