~~ 23.5 ~~

Leraj's POV 

I flicked my knife into the air, watched it spiral – red hilt over burnt orange blade and back again – before I snatched it from the air. Then my eyes went back to Estra.

She was handing over her sword to Hendrickson. I could see the tension in her shoulders at her reluctance to hand it over. A reluctance that wasn't actually hers, memories that weren't real.

I hissed when the blade cut into my palm, miscalculating the catch. My distracted mind still sought to find a way to rid Estra of her fake past. It was my fault after all and yet I was still no closer to finding a way to help her without alerting Hendrickson to my plans.

Pitiful, I thought bitterly. A Grey demon with all his powers would be able to break the contract Hendrickson kept dangling over my head. Why I thought I could uncover the reason behind the Grand Master's experimentation with demon blood without being caught was beyond me.

Actually, no it wasn't. A smile tugged at my lips; I've always thought I was invincible, even when I had no magic to spare.

"No!" Her outcry reached me on the barrack's roof. Her feisty form was staring down Hendrickson, the poor recruit against the wall visibly trembling.

Had this been the Estra who was travelling alongside Meliodas, she wouldn't have backed down from Hendrickson. Her head drooped and she turned back to the recruit. But this wasn't Estra from then – this was Estra with demon blood in her veins, memories of a dead family she never had and a vengeance that compelled her to continue her training no matter the cost on those around her.

Even so, she had tried to thwart him. I'd felt the pull of mana gravitating towards her. I never would have guessed that she'd have this type of power within her, along with her fire and static abilities. Hendrickson could screw up her mind and pump demon blood into her, but that magic was all hers. A plan began to form.

"I swear on my life, Estra, I'll make sure you get back to Meliodas and the crew," I whispered under my breath, carving the plain character of 'fox' on my palm with my dagger. It glowed brilliant orange, just like her gorgeous hair. "I won't let Hendrickson have you destroy your friends."