~~TWENTY FIVE~~

"Are you really sure you want to be doing this?"

"I don't really had a choice, Leraj," I muttered, weighing up the two rocks. The one on the left was heavier but it was said that the properties were almost as strong as diamond and could deflect physical blows without much damage to the wearer. Whereas the one on the right was lighter but not as durable. It did have the added advantage of being able to deflect magic attacks though.

Both were fire resistant but for how hot a fire?

"Are you okay there?" I snapped at Leraj as he grounded his chin into my shoulder. He'd been pouting all day since I told him the news.

"I don't want you to go," he huffed into my neck, rubbing his nose along the skin. A shiver ran from head to toe but I shrugged him off.

It was already hot enough as it was standing at the blacksmith's; his abnormally warm body pressed against my back and his arms around my waist were not helping matters.

"Like I said, clingy, I don't have a choice. Hendrickson has assigned me a mission so I have to go."

He growled under his breath and moved away. I bit my lip, concerned. He never acted like this when I went on other missions. Was it because we were a couple now? Or something more?

"Have you made a choice?" the blacksmith asked, reappearing from the back room. His face was black with soot.

"Get in a fight back there?" I asked, laughing.

"Damn frying pans. I swear if Gildred asks me one more time to make her pans, I'll eat horse crap," he muttered, rubbing at his face and making things worse. Now his skin matched the same colour as his tied up hair.

"Jonn," I gave him an exasperated look. "Every time I'm here you say the same thing. Why don't you just tell her you like her instead of whining about fixing her pots and pans which you accept anyway?"

Jonn crossed his muscular arms across his chest in a threatening stance but his cheeks were dusted pink. "It's not that easy," he said then cleared his throat. "Anyway, today's never about me. Have you decided on one?"

I rolled my eyes but let it drop. Getting Jonn to express his love for the castle chef's daughter was like asking a pig to get out of the mud. "They're both quality ore – kudos by the way for finding them – but how fire resistant are they? What heat can they withstand?"

Jonn scratched at the stubble on his chin. "Well, I had them sitting in the furnace the other day. Built it up real big till me and the boys were swimming in sweat. They didn't crack or melt like I expected. But the one in your left hand, it started shimmering real quick. That's usually a sign that it won't hold up for long after we hammer it out flat. But the durability of the one in your right hand is reduced when it comes to physical attacks so it all depends on your mission this time."

"I don't do much blow deflecting with my forearms and I don't think I will for the mission so the right one it is," I handed both chunks of ore back. "What's the cost for it?"

"I'll just add it to your ever increasing tab. You don't want to know the price at the moment. You definitely won't be able to pay it. I'll send Franx up to your room with them when they're completed." He disappeared into the back room and I gave a heavy sigh.

I'd really need to start earning more gold if I was to pay for all these armour upgrades. My vambraces were the most important piece to be fixed. I couldn't have them squeezing the life out of my arms should I need to be continuously flamed up.

"That didn't look like enough ore for your pauldron or greaves," Leraj commented, finished with his silent tantrum. His eyes still looked hardened though.