~~ THIRTY ~~

When the light faded, I was still standing, well kneeling. I looked over my arms in amazement. Still bruised, bloodied and broken but I wasn't dashed into a million pieces by that attack.

It should have killed me. I turned my gaze to the heavens and King stared down at me. He hadn't aimed at me. I tried not to let the tears of relief slip down my cheeks. I probably could have blocked it had I been in full armour and at full power but I definitely would have died in this state.

I'd almost lost my life. Then what would Leraj have done? I couldn't imagine the heartache and torturous sorrow I would have left him with. I didn't want to imagine it because it made my hands shake and icy fingers trail up my spine.

My tongue wanted to say thank you to the Fairy King but I trapped it between my teeth and kept my lips pressed firmly together.

Then I realised what I hadn't be able to notice before. King's spirit spear was laying at my feet, split in two. King hadn't been staring at me. I followed his gaze. Helbram, still in Love Helm, attire hovered over my shoulder.

Their exchange of words was muffled. Had I gone deaf? I pinched my nose and blew hard. No, they were just blocked.

"...Looks like Holy Knight's Guila and Jericho have been wiped out by the childish old fart ferocious attack! Yet another Holy Knight has been spared!" I stiffened and adverted my gaze. "That won't do though!" Helbram spun, his skirt lengthening and widening until Guila and Jericho fell from underneath his blouse. They were relatively unharmed, panting heavily. "Today's rescuer has been your friendly referee, Love Helm!" He swirled inwards on himself and disappeared into a pocket of space.

Knowing what he was planning, I looked to the sky to follow him. "Who's true identity is!" A swirl of gold and purple behind King's head. A locust green blade unveiled itself, edges tipped with black. King started but it was all the time Helbram needed to place his blade to the young man's neck.

"You're Helbram?" King shouted.

They knew each other? Helbram failed to mention that.

"It's good to see you again, Harlequinn. Or is it King now?"

"How are you alive? I saw it myself that day. I'm sure."

"It doesn't matter. That's in the past." Helbram directed his attention at me. "Estra, get Jericho and Guila."

I shook as I rose to my feet but managed to stand tall amidst the pain. "Of course, Sir Helbram." I wobbled over to the others, helping them to their feet.

Jericho slapped my hand away with a withering glare and got to her own feet. My scowl could darken a room but I didn't push it. She'd only have to punch me once in the ribs and I'd be out like a light and left for dead.

"Sir Helbram, allow us to assist you," Guila pleaded.

"No, it's quite alright. While I keep King occupied, you three go and retrieve what we were sent to this place for."

I nodded while the others affirmed then we headed off, those two a bit more spritely for my hagged jog. Each step on the right sent pain flaring from hip to shoulder. A twisted knife was in my lungs. A rib had to be rubbing against my right lung – I normally had much better breathing control through pain while moving.

We crested a rise. A little house sat in the distance, much like a little mushroom, surrounded by a thigh high stone wall. Jericho was ahead, targeting Ban. He had his hands around Veronica. I took in the rest of the scene – Griamore was armed and standing protectively (or was it defensively?) in front of a purple sphere that held a full-sized Princess Elizabeth. The pink pig I'd definitely be getting back later was beside Elizabeth's bubble.