~~ FIFTY SEVEN ~~

A/N: little bit of a longer chapter! They might all be like that in the coming parts. For those who didn't see my profile update, I have worked out the chapter outlines and that there is 10+ chapter updates to come 

Yeah, I lied in that much earlier chapter because I kind of forgot about a whole section of the anime (whoops). Anyway, please enjoy! Don't forget to comment your thoughts and give the chapters a little love along the way :) 

King floated down before us, his spirit spear at his back.

Oh thank the Gods above. Salvation in the form of a fairy. On the verge of weeping, I wiped the corners of my eyes, trying to reason with myself that it was because I had gotten some dust and ice flakes in them.

"Well, the fairy king graces us with his presence," Helbram sneered, unfazed by the turn of events.

"Isn't that?" Howzer started, wiping blood from his chin.

"The Sin of Sloth, King the Grizzly Sin," Guila finished. Both looked awed by his arrival.

"King I am beyond glad to see you." I said.

He looked over briefly at Diane and me, a fierce fire burning in eyes filled with tears. He drifted to the ground before Howzer.

"Who did this?" he asked. "Who did such terrible things to Diane? Was it you?" He pointed at Howzer accusatory, then to Guila. "Or you?" He swung his finger in Leraj's direction. "Or you?" His voice rose a pitch.

"King..." I started, reaching out to him.

"It... wasn't them." Diane's quiet voice had him clenching his fists. "Those three... were protecting me... alongside Estra. So please, don't blame them, okay?"

In a move no one saw coming, King punched Howzer right in the centre of his chest armour. "But you didn't! You didn't protect her at all! Quit messing around, say you're sorry!" Punch after punch after punch until Howzer broke free of his shock and grabbed King's wrist.

"Hey, stop!" Howzer pulled his hand away. I gasped; King's fist was bloodied, the skin split at the knuckles.

"Why? Why is it that I can't ever, ever protect the people that I care about?" he sobbed.

I chewed the inside of my lip and placed my hand on King's shoulder, a visible shudder running through the fairy's body. I had no words to convey how sorry I was that I couldn't protect Diane for him nor could I form words to console him. His fear, his anger, it all resounded though.

"It's because you're consistently late. In fact, you were always too late. Just like that time when the fairy king's forest vanished twenty years ago. Or that time seven hundred years ago. And today as well! Because the death of this giant girl will be on your head."

My head whipped up to Helbram and I growled, readying my hands. Helbram had managed to get into the air after King's grand entrance. He fell towards us, arm wound up to render us with a blow. I crouched but before I could leap to punch, King's spirit spear connected with Helbram and sent him flying.

"Shut up!" King shouted, the sobs gone, voice hard and angered. His arm was out to the side and he opened his hand.

I turned back to the sky to see the spirit spear change into the giant, green bear that had held me captive once before and bounced the knight back. It morphed into tiny daggers that drilled into Helbram, driving him straight through the roof of a watchtower. The ground rumbled and I fought to stay on my feet.