0.22 || REAL LIFE

Justin knocked nervously on the Harper family's front door. His baseball duffle bag was slung over his shoulder, full of clothes and important belongings. When he heard faint shuffling — along with Lottie's familiar cough — he found himself growing more and more anxious.

He'd never met her family before.

Every time he's come over, her mother had been at work. Lottie never once mentioned her father. She knew about his home life — about his mom and her awful boyfriend — but he didn't want to push her to talk about her own. When the door opened, he was greeted by his short friend.

She wore a pair of grey sweatpants, an oversized pull over hoodie he suspected he'd left at her house at some point that week, and pink slipper boots. She had pulled her dark hair up into a messy bun, though a few strands had come out of the elastic and fallen to frame her face.

"Hey Justin," Lottie grinned. She allowed him to enter the home as she wiped her nose, and Justin immediately smelled macaroni and cheese from the kitchen. His mouth watered.

"Hey," he nodded tiredly. "Thanks again for letting me stay." Lottie waved her hand dismissively and grabbed the duffle bag from him, heaving it onto her shoulder.

"You can head into the kitchen. My mom's almost done dinner, and you're probably hungry," she chuckled. "I'll take this up to the spare room then I'll be down." He nodded and watched her climb up the first two stairs before following her instructions.

"Hello," he greeted the woman at the stove awkwardly. "I'm Justin Foley." He lightly shook her hand once she turned to face him, and was startled at how much she looked like Lottie.

"I'm Sarah," The woman smiled up at him. "I'm Lottie's mom. I've heard tons of good things about you." Justin laughed and awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

"Thank you for letting me stay," he commented as he stepped further into the room.

Sarah waved her hand, much like her daughter had done minutes prior. "I didn't see a problem with it, after she explained why." Justin immediately rubbed his wrist, wincing at the familiar sting of a forming bruise.

"Still," he mumbled. "I appreciate it."

"I'm back," Lottie smiled, wandering into the kitchen with a pink nose and a box of Kleenex in hand. "What did I miss."

"Your friend was being polite," Sarah commented. "Unlike you." Justin stifled a laugh as Lottie gaped at her mother.

"I'm going to be quiet because anything I have to say will be wrong," she sighed after a moment of silence. Justin chuckled quietly, then offered to help Sarah with dinner.

"See? Manners," Sarah pointed out to her daughter. "And no thank you, sweetie, we're pretty much ready anyways." He nodded awkwardly, then glanced at Lottie again.

"Sit down," She sniffled out, pulling his arm to guide him to the table. He did as he was told, and moments later, Sarah set down a plate of food for him.

"Eat as much as you want," she hummed warmly. "I know how much growing boys eat, so I made two pans." Justin smiled thankfully, and began eating.

By the time they all finished their meal, he'd eaten almost a full pan by himself. He'd gotten to know Sarah Harper very well, and for once, he felt at home.