[1]

"Finally!"

Minho groaned as he put the last folder back onto his desk. He's been working on paperwork for different cases for the past 6 hours.

Chief Yang usually gives him a bunch of cases to solve and he manages to successfully crack them every time.

But being the procrastinator he is, he's behind on paperwork so now it's all piled up.

Being a 1st-grade detective used to be cool for Minho. But now it's just a pain in the neck. He thought that once he got promoted to a higher rank, things will be a bit easier for him. Obviously he was wrong.

Minho leaned back in his chair and stared at the ceiling, trying to relax his tired eyes and fried brain. He groaned when he remembered he still has more reports to work on.

He glanced at the wall clock in his office and saw the clock read '1:44 PM'. Minho sighed before closing his eyes to try and get even just a little nap.

It was still early but considering he didn't sleep a wink last night, he really thinks it's the best time to nap.

Being a high-rank detective required him to stay awake for most of the day, barely getting enough sleep at night and just living off of coffee and energy drinks.

Just as Minho was about to fall asleep, he was woken up by a knock on his door. He rubbed his eyes trying to get the sleep off of it and told the person knocking to come in.

The door opened revealing Chan, also a 1st-grade detective from the same department.

"What's up hyung?" Minho asked, gesturing for the other to sit down

He and Chan are pretty close. They used to go to the same high school, and now they have the same workplace. Small world right?

"Chief Yang wants to see you." Chan said, standing by the door

Minho stared at Chan and immediately noticed his sour face.

"Let me guess. He left you a dozen new cases again huh?" Minho smirked as he stood up, fixing his bomber jacket

Chan groaned, "Korea never runs out of crimes!" Chan complained as he and Minho walked out of the younger's office

Minho laughed, "The whole world is filled with crimes hyung, what do you expect? You're one of the best detectives here anyway, you can do it."

Chan glared at Minho, "I haven't slept a wink in 2 days, compliments does NOT make it any better."

Chan is also one of the best detectives in their whole department. The older male got the job before Minho did so Chan is basically Minho's senior, and Minho looks up to Chan because he really admires how he does his job.

Rather than doing it for the money, he focuses on giving justice to the people. Which is exactly what Minho wants to do too.

Although looking at him now makes Minho want to quit his job and just go for a fast food chain service crew or something. But of course, he wouldn't do that.

"Hey I'll see you later okay? I'm dropping by Felix's office to make sure he isn't overworking himself." Chan waved before walking off

Felix is another friend of theirs who recently just got promoted to being a detective, but he works in a different department. Felix works in the Child Protection Department while Chan works in the Criminal Investigations Department along with Minho.

Minho waved as Chan walked off. He continued to make his way to Chief Yang's office, greeting his co-workers on the way.

Minho turned the corner and saw the chief's door up ahead. When he was only a few feet away, Minho felt his phone vibrate, indicating that a message was received.

Minho stopped in his tracks and pulled out his phone. He saw that he received a message from his boyfriend, Han Jisung.

[  Yah, you better not be overworking yourself, or I will personally bring you dinner then drag you to sleep on the couch just so you could rest. I love you lots and always stay safe. -🐿💕  ]

Minho giggled before quickly typing up a reply. Once sent, Minho proceeded to head to the chief's office door and knocked three times.

"Come in."

Minho opened the door and saw the chief skimming through a bunch of folders.

"Sit down Mr. Lee." Chief Yang said pointing at one of the 2 chairs in front of his desk

Minho sat down without another word and waited for the chief to start talking. He knew better than to rush him and ask questions. The last time he did, he ended up with a folder smushed against his face.

After a few moments, Chief Yang closed the folder he was reading and turned to Minho.

"Do you know why I called you here?" Chief Yang asked, his hands resting on top of the wooden desk

Minho put on a thinking face, "Well I haven't passed any of my paperworks yet so that's probably why." Minho shrugged

Yeah, Minho may be a 1st grade detective, but he barely follows deadlines. All he wants to do is solve crimes without having to write a bunch of reports about it right after. It's a bit surpising how he isn't fired yet.

Chief Yang sighed, "We will get back to that later. But that's not what I meant."

Minho laughed, "I know, I know. So what's this about?" Minho said, his face turning serious

Chief Kim stared at Minho for a few seconds before saying his next few words that Minho wished he heard wrong.

"I'm assigning the case 'Unveil: Black Mask' to you."

Minho blinked repeatedly, his face showing disbelief, "Wait are you serious?"

Chief Yang didn't say anything, letting Minho know that the chief is most definitely serious.

"But aren't the officers working on this case?"

"The case is getting bigger. We need a detective for this. I'm assigning this to you now."

Minho scoffed, "Okay first of all, is this a request or a command? Second of all, I already have a buttload of active cases to deal with."

'Unveil: Black Mask' is a case that first started out about a month ago when people started going missing then being found dead with the suspect being a man in a black mask; hence the name.

"A command. And I can appoint your cases to the other detectives from your department, they're all easier anyway. I need you to focus on Black Mask." Chief Yang said, reaching for a folder beside him

The chief opened the folder and placed it in front of Minho, "A few days ago, he took out a teacher from a middle school. Unfortunate and merciless."

Minho took the folder and examined the info shown. Black Mask is currently Seoul's best criminal. Kind of a bad title, but he really is that good.

For every crime he commits, not a single track is left. The bodies are left dead but there are no tracks left behind.

No fingerprints, no hair strands, no nothing.

He is way too clean and leaves completely no mark aside from the cameras. He's only ever seen through security cameras or a few witnesses, that's how they found out he wore black masks.

They don't know if he does that on purpose or he's not as smart as they think.

"You're our last hope Minho. I can't pass this to Chan yet. I've been giving him a bunch of other cases recently and I don't think he'll be able to take it."

Minho's brows furrowed, "What about me then? Am I a fly here? You give me cases too you know?"

Chief Yang rolled his eyes, "You're still sane. He isn't. He drank soy sauce this morning instead of coffee, and he wasn't even bothered by it."

Minho stared at the folders in front of him, containing all of the file cases linked to Black Mask.

"Give it a shot Minho. I know you can do it." Chief Yang said, offering Minho a smile

Minho thought for a moment before sighing, "Fine. I'll do it."