Chapter 12: Imagine

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Kylo Ren struggles to negotiate for resources needed for the construction of Starkiller II.

"The extraction is going quickly, sir." Major Lenid is careful to control his voice. He's not trembling anymore, but he's sweating, droplets forming on his young face. "Half of of Ruusan's varium deposits have been mined and transported for the construction of Starkiller II."

"Excellent," Kylo Ren responds dispassionately. He stands at the back of the meeting room, facing a giant window overlooking the port. Sparks fly high outside as First Order engineers and technicians scurry about their business.

Lenid clutches his datapad, standing several feet back. He resists the urge to wipe sweat from his brow. He can't help but curse Colonel Vaden inwardly, promoting him to major, then sending to him to deliver a report to the Supreme Leader the next day? If this is his way of saying he's in the big leagues now, the message is received...

The young officer gulps, staring at Kylo Ren's back. The Supreme Leader has hardly moved the entire meeting, standing with his hands clasped behind him. His demeanor is calm, relaxed even, yet Lenid's stomach lurches every time he speaks. Maybe it's the distortion of his mask that gives an undertone of menace to everything he says...

"Continue."

Uh oh. He sounds impatient now.

Lenid looks quickly at his pad.

"Of course." He tries to project confidence. "Extraction on the other sites isn't going as quickly, but progress has been steady the last six months. Vurdon's monthly extraction is at 1.4%, Sarka at 3%, Orinda at 3.7%—"

"What about the kyber on Lys?"

Lennid jumps when Kylo Ren turns his head.

"Uh..." The officer scrolls through his datapad. "Extraction there has been inconsistent, but you know how difficult it is to mine kyber. The rate was .4% last month, 1.2% before that, .1% before—

"Five," the Supreme Leader interrupts. "I want a 5% monthly extraction on Lys. I don't care what it takes."

"I will inform Colonel Frise." Lennid enters a note on his pad. Frise will not like this. He's already dreading passing along the order...

But otherwise, the meeting's gone more smoothly than he expected, mostly good news to deliver and predictable commands to report back. Kylo Ren has been shockingly even this whole time. Lenid had no idea what to expect. He's never had never had an occasion to stand this close to the man, much less interact with him. He knows officers who report to him regularly, though, and the stories they tell chill him to the marrow.

Now, he's starting to think they might be exaggerated. The man standing before him is intimidating to be sure— tall, broad-shouldered, black-clad and masked— but he's not frightening. He's cold, curt, impatient at times, but he's so composed.

Suddenly, Lenid twists around, the door whirring open behind him.

Major Sykes scurries in, a much older officer than Lenid, a long-standing assistant to General Kas. He makes his way swiftly through the room, weaving around chairs pulled out from a long, rectangular table in the center.

The younger officer knits his brow.

What's Sykes doing here? Isn't he supposed to be on Lonera?

"Sir." The older major halts beside Lenid without so much as a glance. "General Kas has an urgent message regarding the negotiation with the Loneran Congress."

Kylo Ren doesn't acknowledge him or even move at all. He just watches the port, his back to the officers.

Lenid tries to catch Syke's eye, but the older man's gaze is fixed on the Supreme Leader. He seems urgent and a little nervous.