Chapter 15: Fate

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Rey learns from the best in in Cloud City.

The old man sits back in his chair, studying the cards in his hand. He looks relaxed, bored even, lids drifting lazily over his eyes.

"I think..." He tilts his chin up. Suddenly, he leans forward, eyes bright with mischief. "I'm gonna raise." He smiles slyly, taking four chips from his stack and throwing them to the center of the table.

Rey watches casually. She reaches for her own stack of chips, her expression neutral.

"I'll see your raise..." Her fingertips slide down a column of chips. "And I'll raise you four more." She gingerly lifts the column and releases it into the pot.

The old man tsks, reaching over for more chips. "Overconfidence is the amateur's bane." He casts a glance at Rey.

She fights a smile. "Ok." She straightens. "Time to call."

"Not so fast, missy," the old man warns. "I haven't had my turn to trade. You're looking too eager. Trust me." He dips his chin. "You never want to look too eager when playing this game."

"Well, excuse me." Rey looks at him evenly. "I just assumed that if you were confident enough to raise, then you wouldn't need to trade." She squints, beckoning him to challenge.

The man stares at her, his face a blank. A few seconds pass in silence.

"Right you are," he finally admits, sitting back in his chair. "Show what you've got, Jedi girl."

"You do know I'm not a Jedi, right?" Her lips turn up as she reaches for her cards.

"My dear, that is how Leia described you when she asked that I look after you and so that is what you are." Lando Calrissian winks.

"Well then, it sure is easy to become a Jedi these days." She turns over her cards.

Lando sits up, peering at her hand. He instantly scoffs, shaking his head.

"You killed me." He turns his cards to reveal a measly total of nine. "You have the best beginner's luck of anyone I've ever seen. And trust me when I tell you..." He raises a knowing eyebrow. "I've seen a lot of Sabacc players in my time."

"Well..." Rey draws out the word. She looks up at Lando with a flash of shame. "I'm Force-sensitive, so I felt you were bluffing." She scrunches her face.

Lando lets out a good-natured laugh, standing from his chair.

"But the lady admits her advantage." He lifts a finger. He chuckles to himself as he walks away, his cape rippling behind him. "And she claims she's not a Jedi," he mutters.

"Being Force-sensitive and being a Jedi aren't the same thing, you know." Rey leans over, watching him rummage through an overhead compartment.

"I wouldn't know about such things." He closes the compartment, then walks back with another deck of cards. "I'm only a humble mining operator."

"Only a mining operator," Rey repeats incredulously. "The great Lando Calrissian? Hero of the Rebellion? The man who fired the shot that destroyed the Death Star at the Battle of Endor? The greatest gambler in the galaxy?"

Lando grunts as he retakes is seat. "Greatest gambler in the galaxy, huh?" He says absently, focusing on the new deck of cards. "People aren't still saying that, are they?"

Rey tilts her head, studying this man, this legend she's heard so much about.

"You know..." She purses her lips. "Based on your reputation, I didn't expect you to be so humble."