Chapter 48: Partners

Chapter Summary: Rey seeks answers about her destiny.

The cave is quiet, almost silent. Crystals crawl up the walls, lighting everything with a white-blue glow. They're like twinkles in the night sky, and when Rey comes here, she likes to lie back and imagine it's the only place in the galaxy where she can touch the stars.

But now's not the time for games.

Rey moves by the wall, hovering over the crystals. Whispers pass through her, but she ignores them like conversations in a busy marketplace.

Suddenly, she halts, fixed on a cluster at the base of the wall.

Did one of those crystals just flicker?

She scurries forward, crouching. There are six in the cluster, one in the center and five around it. She examines a moment before reaching for the one at the top.

The crystal warms at her touch.

Rey closes her eyes, whispers fading as she focuses on the energy at her fingertips.

This crystal is irritated. It sulks quietly as the others in its cluster argue about something Rey doesn't understand.

She dissolves into the Force, reaching out.

I need your help, little crystal, she speaks the language of the heart. I need you to help me understand my destiny.

She waits.

The crystal doesn't respond.

Please. She leans closer. Please help me. Tell me how to break the pattern.

Seconds pass.

Nothing.

Please. She grips the crystal. Please show me the way. Show me what we're supposed to do.

The crystal grows warmer.

Rey gasps, eyes flying open. A second later, she feels the crystal's response.

Go away.

She snatches her hand back.

The crystals flickers, taunting her.

Cruel crystal, she taunts back. Mean, uncaring, callous little crystal.

It ignores her.

She growls, shooting to her feet.

Fine. That's fine. There are plenty of other crystals here. Plenty.

She squares her shoulders.

"Rey."

She twists around.

"I'm still not hearing anything." Ben stands a few meters down. "I keep trying but—"

"Ben." She struggles to control her tone. "I told you. Just let go. Open your heart and listen."

"I am doing that, or trying but—"

"DON'T. Don't try. Don't concentrate. Don't control anything at all. Just melt into the Force, and I promise you'll start to hear them."

"Then, what? I can't ask them anything if I don't know how to talk to them."

"Ask them anyways! If they want to respond, they will. Trust me. Trust me like the galaxy depends on it because it does!"

He narrows his eyes. She senses a protest, but he keeps it to himself. "Ok."

Rey huffs, turning to the wall. Her eyes drift up, following the crystals stretching along the ceiling.