Chapter 20: Throne

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Kylo Ren is given conflicting opinions about his Outer Rim invasions.

The throne room is dead quiet.

Kylo Ren sits back, forearms resting lightly on either side of him, fingers curled over the edge of the throne.

He waits, resisting the urge to sigh inside his mask.

Instead, he observes his surroundings, red walls reflecting on the shiny surface of the floor, the long walkway stretching out ahead, the oculus to the left.

The room is an exact replica of Snoke's on Supremacy I, the one he so frequently visited as a supplicant.

But here, he is the sovereign.

He never gets tired of looking at the room from this perspective. Being in this seat, this position... It feels so right, so satisfying. He was born to sit in this chair.

But the truth is, he doesn't spend much time here. He'd go insane if he stayed in this room all day. He prefers to keep moving, to keep the generals and colonels on their toes with the constant threat of his appearance. He finds things get done more efficiently if he makes a point to regularly show up unannounced— to meetings, inspections, training exercises.

He always comes here a once a week, though, more for symbolic reasons than anything else. This room represents his power, his authority, his unquestionable supremacy. It matters that people see him here.

Especially certain people.

As if on cue, the door at the end of the room whirs open and General Hux strides through, his hands clasped behind him. He walks forward, that signature pompous expression coming into view. His nose is turned up so high that Kylo can practically see inside his nostrils.

He halts just a few feet in front of the throne.

Then he just stands there.

Not for long, only for a second or two, but long enough for Kylo to feel his blood begin boil in his veins.

Finally, Hux kneels, resting one arm on his knee and bowing deeply. The gesture appears genuine, but Kylo can sense his resentment, that abrasive grind, rubbing his insides raw. He looks down at the man for a minute, a long minute, giving him some much-needed time on the floor.

"General." He finally speaks in his distorted voice.

Hux rises, his jaw hardened.

"Supreme Leader."

Kylo rolls his eyes inside his mask.

It's been nearly a year and the man still can't manage to utter those words without an undertone of disdain...

He clenches his fists, staring down at that smug, white face. A few seconds pass.

"Don't waste my time, General," Kylo barks.

Hux jumps, startled.

"I assume you have a reason for requesting this meeting beyond the pleasure of my company."

For an instant, the general's face twists into a sneer, but he banishes the look quickly.

"Of course." He turns his nose in the air. "I wanted to speak to you about the Outer Rim invasions."

"What about them?"

"They're going quite well, aren't they?" He tilts his head, smirking. "The Minos Cluster. Salient. Bonadan. And soon Felucia. All firmly under our control. All within the past month. That's much more quickly than our initial estimates." He juts his chin up proudly, as though he were personally responsible for this success.