Chapter 13: Lost and Found, Part 1

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Kylo Ren is interrupted during a meeting with his generals.

"I can tell you right now, the Salient System is going to a problem." General DeVries leans in, resting a forearm on the table. His lined face is smug, his tone matter-of-fact. "Two of the three planets aren't even run by their governments. It's the gangs that control everything— the resources, the trade. They're the true law enforcement."

"Felucia and Five Points are no different." General Meric sits back, blue eyes cutting, blonde hair gleaming in the light. "So many of these Outer Rim planets are overrun with lawless rabble. And as long as they are, they can't really be considered under our control."

"Well then." General Hux brightens, sitting up. "When you put that way, it sounds as though these systems can be considered in outright rebellion against the First Order and therefore should be dealt with accordingly."

A few of the generals glance at each other. Several look to the Supreme Leader pacing around the meeting table, hands clasped loosely behind him.

"And how would you have us deal with them?" Kylo Ren asks through the distortion of his mask.

Hux straightens.

"I'd set up a blockade." He leans in with a sinister glow. "No one can enter or exit the system. Cut off all intergalactic trade. Starve them into submission. Trust me." He sits back with smirk. "After a month without trade, these planets will be putty in our hands. They'll do anything to get their trade routes back."

"You do realize..." General Voigt cocks his head. He's the oldest man in the room, flecks of white in his grey hair. "That many of these planets import most of their food supply?" He raises an eyebrow.

"That's why I said starve them." Hux stares at Voigt. The two men glare at one another as if sizing up an opponent before a fight.

"No." The Supreme Leader breaks the tension. "There will be no blockade. Not yet."

"Why not?" Hux blusters, snapping to the Supreme Leader.

He's standing in front the large window now, overlooking the port below. His shoulders are relaxed, his hands clasped behind him.

"Because," he starts matter-of-factly, "I want a firm grip on the galaxy not a crushing one. If we starve half the Outer Rim planets, we'll create more problems than we solve." He pauses, gazing at the black-clad workers scurrying about their business. "The more we tighten our grip, the more star systems will slip through our fingers."

Hux grunts.

"That sounds familiar." His lips twist snidely. "Where did you hear that?" He cocks his head. "Your mother?"

In an instant, Hux's face bashes into the hard surface of the table. He falls off his chair, a hand flying up to cover his nose, now gushing with blood. He takes short, shallow breaths, trying to recover from the shock.

"That's exactly where I heard it from."

The Supreme Leader turns to face the generals. He resumes his pacing, his demeanor disquietingly calm.

"Consider this," he continues in his distorted voice. "One of my many strengths as your leader."

He strides past Hux on the floor, desperately trying stop the flow of blood.

"The woman who was a leader the Rebellion that destroyed the Empire..." He rounds the table. "The woman who now leads the Resistance intent on destroying us..."

He halts.

"I know her. I know how she thinks." He scans the generals. "And right now, she's thinking that the First Order will lead this galaxy into desperation. She's thinking we'll destroy to the point that people will start to fear the loss of their livelihoods, everything that's familiar and comfortable to them. And when that happens..." He resumes pacing. "They'll start pouring into the Resistance in droves."