Chapter 32: Head and Heart

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Kylo Ren holds a debriefing in his command shuttle after the invasion on Kaddak.

"Wait..." Colonel Vaden leans over the table. "None of them went off?"

"None." General Petrov sits back in his chair.

"But..." Colonel Russo turns to the general. "What about the explosion on the South side? Wasn't that one of them?"

"No." Petrov shakes his head. "That was just some of the scum trying to escape, blocking off our troops so they could weasel their way out of the mines." He grunts. "We caught them halfway to the Silver, neutralized them."

Vaden narrows his eyes. "So..." He starts slowly. "What happened? They just malfunctioned? All of them?"

"Well, that's the interesting part." Petrov sits up. "According to the explosives team, they were diffused."

"Diffused?" Vaden cocks his head.

"That's the report."

"And it wasn't them?" Russo scoots forward. "It wasn't your team?"

"Definitely not," Petrov insists. "The first thing they did when we cracked into the base was go to the mines, but by the time they got there..."

"That doesn't make any sense." Russo slumps in his chair.

"Or maybe it does." Petrov eyes him slyly.

"How?" Russo demands. "There was no one down there who could've done such a thing."

"No one...?" Petrov raises an eyebrow.

Vaden scoffs. "You're not suggesting the slaves diffused the bombs, are you?"

"Who else could it have been?"

"Really?" Russo grunts. "You think those gutter rats are even capable?"

"Maybe." Petrov shrugs. "It's the only explanation that makes sense."

"But even assuming they had the capability, how did they get it done so quickly?" Vaden challenges. "The mines are miles long, and they had no way of knowing we'd be here."

"They had time, especially since the explosives were rigged on a grid. Looks like the delay you ordered paid off, sir." Petrov twists to the Supreme Leader.

He stands facing the console, unmasked, his back to the group. He doesn't respond to the general, just stands there listening.

"Well..." Russo sighs. "I suppose it's possible. We would've drawn all the scum to the base this morning, cleared out the mines. Maybe that was all they needed. Who knows?" He tilts his chin up thoughtfully. "Maybe our benevolence to the slaves is starting to pay off."

"Or maybe they just heard about Kaller," Vaden says dryly.

"Either way, we've learned something today." Petrov looks to both men at the table. "These slaves could be useful to us as more than just a publicity stunt. I say we send out a team to the operational camp tomorrow, start questioning them, find out more about—"

"No." The Supreme Leader turns abruptly. "We have more important matters to attend to." He starts pacing the room.

"But, sir—"

"Vaden, I want you to begin extraction on the east end." Kylo ignores the general. "Stay away from the operational camp and away from the base."

"Yes, sir." The colonel nods. "The teams are ready; the equipment is here. We'll start at first light."

"Good." Kylo continues pacing. "Russo, how long until the camp is ready for intake?"