Chapter 28: Sovereign

Chapter Summary: Kylo Ren deals with a tricky negotiation and an ongoing attempt to undermine his authority

Heads up: This is a "no Rey" chapter. Think of it as Kylo's version of chapter 19. I don't plan on doing this often, but I need to set up some First Order plot and character development that will be important later in the story. Thank you for reading!

"So, how bad is it this time?" General Meric glances at the colonel beside him.

Foss sighs as he leans over the table, hollow-eyed and exhausted. "It could be worse." His lips twist wryly. "A third of the explosives malfunctioned, so the mines aren't entirely destroyed. Just... mostly." He covers his eyes with a palm.

"Tsk. Tsk." The young general shakes his head, cropped blonde hair catching the light. "How terrible." His tone is sympathetic but there's a glint in his eye. He can barely contain a smirk when he glances at Hux seated across from them.

"Yes, it really is quite a shame." Hux drapes an arm over his lap, relaxed and impassive. "Especially when it could've easily been avoided."

Foss drops his hand, incredulous. "How?" He demands. "What could we possibly do to stop this insanity? After Apatros, half the Outer Rim scum are prepared to self-destruct. The moment we show up at their doorstep—"

BAM!

He slams a fist on the table.

"We can't do a damn thing."

"Not now." Meric shrugs. "But it could've been avoided in the first place."

Foss looks to Meric but he just nods to Hux.

"I spoke to Ren about this months ago." Hux sits up now, a fire in his eyes. "I told him this was a possibility, that the gangs would start to catch on, try to slow us down. I suggested we invade more systems at once, snuff them out before such a thing occurred to them. But..." He shakes his head.

Foss looks down. "Yes..." he mutters. "That would have better. But it's too late for that now. All we can do is grit our teeth and clean up the mess." He sighs.

"Do you have a team there yet?" Meric tilts his chin up.

"No. I've got one coming from Aeneid, but it won't arrive for another two days."

"Surely, there's something that can be done in the meantime." Hux leans into the table, brows pinched. "What's the infantry doing? Twiddling their thumbs?"

"No." Foss shakes his head. "The Supreme Leader has them building an operational camp for the slaves."

Both generals groan, rolling their eyes.

"Again?" Meric snorts. "What are we now? A damn charity organization?"

"What a waste," Hux spits. "Housing gutter rats when we could already be digging out the tunnels."

Suddenly, the door whirs open, and General Kas strides in the room with a to-do list written across his face. He pulls out a chair and takes a seat without so much as looking at the others. He glares at the table, consumed in his own thoughts.

The three men hardly notice him, continuing with their conversation as though he weren't there.

"What is this? The fifth time he has our troops taking care of riffraff?"

"The fourth," Foss supplies eagerly.

"It's a waste of our manpower. It's a waste of our time. It's a waste of our resources." Hux clenches his jaw.