Chapter 25: Savior

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Kylo Ren receives disturbing news about an impending Outer Rim invasion.

"We're well on our way, sir."

Colonel Vaden leans forward in his chair, thin lips twisting into a self-satisfied smirk.

"The First Order now controls sixty percent of the galaxy's known varium deposits. We're absolutely swimming in the stuff. We've already mined well over what we need."

Kylo Ren paces the room, his shoulders relaxed, his hands clasped loosely behind his back. To the untrained eye, he would appear cold, dispassionate.

But the three men sitting around the meeting table know their Supreme Leader well enough to tell when he's in a good mood. He likes what he's hearing...

"And cortosis?" He asks in his distorted voice. "How much of that do we control?"

Colonel Reza sits up now, uncrossing his arms.

"We'll have a lot more by the end of the week." The square-jawed man turns his head sharply. "Once we destroy the scum on Apatros, fifty percent of the galaxy's known deposits will be ours."

"That's not what I asked you, colonel." The Supreme Leader sounds irritated now. "How much does the First Order control today?"

The colonel flushes a bit, embarrassed.

"Nearly a third of it, sir," he answers quickly.

Kylo Ren doesn't react, only continues pacing.

"And iridium?"

Colonel Foss squares his shoulders, fighting the urge to gulp. He can't help but curse the cruel twist of fate that put him in charge of overseeing iridium extraction.

Then again, it could be worse. He could have been assigned the kyber mines...

He shudders inwardly at the thought.

"Well, sir," the portly man begins. "As you know, we've had quite a few problems negotiating with the iridium-rich systems. As a result, we currently control..." He stiffens. "Five percent of the galaxy's iridium."

The Supreme Leader halts, pushing out an exhale.

The colonel sulks in his seat.

It's not his fault. He's in charge of extraction, not negotiation. He can't extract what he doesn't have access to...

Suddenly, the colonel jerks back, startled by the crackle of a comm. The Supreme Leader reaches for his commlink, muting the receiver.

"Tell me our progress in the mines we do control." Kylo Ren resumes his pacing.

Colonel Foss perks up now, his face brightening. Now he gets to give good news...

"We're making excellent progress, sir, absolutely phenomenal." The colonel beams. "Extraction in the Core Worlds and Inner Rim systems is nearly two/thirds of the way done, estimated to be complete within the year." He juts his chin up. "Of course, that's where we're focusing our manpower, so the mines in other systems aren't quite as far along, but—"

"The numbers colonel." The Supreme Leader cuts him off. "Give me the numbers for each territory."

"Of course, sir." The colonel glances at the data pad in front of him. "Extraction in the Core Worlds is at eighty percent. The Inner Rim is at sixty-five percent. The Expansion region is at forty-five. The Mid Rim is at thirty. And the Outer Rim is at fifteen." He inhales sharply, waiting for the Supreme Leader's response.