Chapter 17: Embrace

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Kylo Ren prepares for a series of Outer Rim invasions.

Two pairs of boots click down the halls of the dreadnaught, one with brisk, steady strides, the other with short, hurried steps.

"Everything's set for the invasion of the Salient system, sir." The officer struggles to keep up with the Supreme Leader. "The aerial forces are equipped and mobilized, ready to be dispatched on your comma—"

"Has Captain Rhada submitted her report on the Silencers?" A masked Kylo Ren charges forward.

"Yes, sir." The officer picks up his pace. "Absolutely no problems whatsoever."

"Nothing with the laser cannons, the stealth field generators?"

"Nothing," the officer assures. "Every ship prepared for the assault is operating at maximum functionality."

"Good." Kylo doesn't look back. "And Epsilon Squadron is set to take the lead?"

"Yes, sir." The officer nods. "The ace pilot submitted his report an hour ago. He's honored by the opportunity and confident that you'll be pleased the assault."

"We'll see." There's an undertone of darkness in this response. "And the ground forces?"

"Ready for dispatch at the ace pilot's signal." The officer tags a few paces behind. "They'll follow behind and sweep the rest of the scum out. According to General Petrov's estimates, Zidon's major bases will be decimated within the week, halting the system's illegal Varium market completely."

"Tell General Kas I want a meeting at 0600 tomorrow to discuss the negotiations with Salient I and Salient II."

"Absolutely." The officer slows as he enters a note in his data pad. "Also, I have a report from General Ailen, sir." He scurries forward to close the gap.

The Supreme Leader strides on without a word.

The officer tags behind, waiting for an indication to continue. Several seconds pass.

"Go on." Kylo grits his teeth inside his mask.

"Of course." The officer shrinks. "He wanted you to know that for the past few week, he's increased the frequency of broadcast for the holos that mention the Zidon gang by name. As a result, we've received an outpouring of requests to do something about their atrocities, several from major figures in the galaxy."

For the first time, Kylo slows, turning his head.

"Very good." He's clearly pleased. "Did he say where the majority of these requests come from? The Inner rim? Mid rim?"

"No..." The officer is tentative. "But I will ask." He enters a note on his pad. "If I may be so bold..." The officer hurries to match the Supreme Leader's pace. "Based on my understanding, the majority of the galaxy will be thrilled at our offensive against Zidon. It's a win-win. We get access to the Varium, and the galaxy has one less lawless mob to worry about."

"We'll see." Kylo stops abruptly in front of his quarters, and the officer nearly rams into him.

He turns sharply to the man, who instinctively steps back.

"Tell General Ailen I want a meeting at 0700 tomorrow."

"Yes, sir." He enters the note then looks up, eager for the next order.

The black mask stares down coldly.

"You're dismissed."

The officer holds in an exhale of relief, turning and walking swiftly away.