Chapter 49: Strike

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Kylo Ren retakes the First Order.

NOTE: This is a "no Rey" chapter.

Hux stands at the end of the conference room, facing the observation portal. Black dots scurry below, preparing for the morning shift change. From here, they look like ants, swarming the port in organized chaos.

"The east wing took some damage..."

General Voigt blathers behind him.

"But otherwise, the facility is operational. Regular activities resume tomorrow, and Colonel Seville submitted a request for—"

"I'm not interested in operations." Hux turns to the general. "I'm interested in theft."

"Of course." The older man stiffens. He lifts his datapad, a tightness in his jaw.

The rest of the generals slouch around the table, only paying half attention. Kas fools with something in his lap, oblivious to everyone else.

Voigt scrolls through has pad, then shakes his head. "Nothing. All prototypes are accounted for as well as all plans and records. As far as we can tell, the intruders didn't even access the data."

"So, you were right!" General Ailen perks up. "It was a distraction."

"General." Hux turns sharply. "Were you given leave to speak?"

"No." Ailen's cheeks grow red. "No, sir."

Hux glares, steely-eyed.

Insolence. Insolence and sloppiness, that's what a year under that lovesick fool has gotten them. These men must be reschooled in proper conduct before authority...

"Kas!"

The general jumps, startled.

"Reconnaissance report, Starkiller." Hux steps forward, hands clasped behind him.

"There's... nothing new to report, sir." Kas scrambles for his pad. "The planet's clear, nothing in the facilities or surrounding area. We've tripled droid coverage and found nothing irregular."

"And shipments?" Hux strides by, eyeing the chrono in the general's lap.

"Transports from Sienar-Jaemus and BlasTech have been thoroughly scanned and cleared. Per your command, no ships will leave or enter the planet until further notice."

Hux paces around the table, brows pinched.

None of this sits well with him— the intrusion on Hays Major, no casualties or theft, not so much as a single X-wing in range since the so-called attack.

"If I may speak, sir?" General Meric sits up.

"You may." Hux nods.

"Whatever the Resistance had planned must've been foiled by your decision to split the fleet. They expected the intrusion would draw the dreadnaughts away, and when it didn't, they aborted attack."

Hux frowns.

If that were the case, they should've detected some attempt to enter Starkiller. The fact that they didn't means one of two things— either someone's hiding on the planet or there's something else afoot. "Dispatch another hundred units to Starkiller," he commands. "By day's end, I want every inch of the planet covered in troops."

"Yes, sir." Meric enters a note in his pad.

"The Resistance is desperate..." Hux rounds the head of the table. "They want Starkiller and they want it badly. They mean to destroy it or take it from us, and with Ren on their side, they're in a better position to do so..." He sets his jaw. "So, let's give them what they want." He halts.