Chapter 22: Becoming

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Rey reassesses the purpose of the bond.

NOTE: I'm introducing a OC character in this chapter who will be part of Rey's anti-slavery project. I imagine Zazie Beetz playing this character. Happy reading!

 Happy reading!

"Bullshit!"

Poe jerks a chair from the table, throwing himself onto it.

"It's true." Finn shrugs. "Everyone's been talking about it. How are you just hearing about it now?"

"Bullshit!"

"Look man, I'm telling you the truth. If you don't believe me, just ask anyone else on this base." Finn gestures at the room, but a second later looks around, realizing it's practically empty, the hologame tables and lounge seats bare.

Suddenly, a door whirs open and a young woman strides in, absently running a hand over black curls.

"Daja, you've been at the base all day, right?" Poe shoots up.

"Yeah, where have you been?" She snipes.

"I've been out with Rey fixing that transmitter!"

Daja doesn't react, continuing to the kitchen to open a compartment.

"So, is it true?"

"Is what true?"

Poe scoffs. "If it were true, you'd know exactly what I was talking about." He shoots Finn a look.

Finn rolls his eyes.

"Oh," Daja sounds bored. "You must mean Kylo Ren being awarded the Heart of Delphon." She pulls a silver container out of the compartment. "Yeah, that's true. Their Premier announced it this morning. He's a real humanitarian, that Kylo Ren."

Poe goes white. He falls into the chair, his face a blank.

"You ok, buddy?" Finn leans in.

Poe shakes his head briskly as if trying to wake from a dream.

Or a nightmare.

"Has this entire galaxy gone insane!?" He asks to no one in particular. "I mean, is this even the same galaxy, or did someone just erase the last ten years? Am I the only one who remembers the rise of the First Order— Snoke, the Knights of Ren, death, destruction, Starkiller, Hosnian!"

"You're not the only one." Finn sighs. "You're just... one of the few who wants to do something about it."

"It's just bullshit!" Poe beats the table. "How can people have such short memories!? How can they ignore everything the First Order's done!? I mean, Kylo Ren does one or two semi-decent things and all off the sudden—" He sputters. "It's unbelievable. And now that murderer is being awarded an honor he didn't even come close to earning—"