4

====

' You Can't Even Pick It Up

' You Can't Even Pick It Up. '

====

The screams and growls of the Cranks continued to send horrid shivers down Blair's spine as she hid with the rest of the group, her eyes clenched shut as her shin pounded. The people around her murmured quietly, causing her to slowly open her eyes as she began to watch them interact with one another; trying to figure out relationships and who was closer to who.

Thomas was huddled closer to Teresa then the other boys, Aris tucked into Blair's side. Frypan watched over Winston as Newt and Minho sat closely together, all other their heads constantly moving to try and spot any incoming danger. The girl stayed up all night, watching as the others fell asleep; her eye lids growing heavy. But she jumped when she heard a sudden rustling, a crow landing on Thomas' bag; pulling out a bag of food.

'Hey! Get out of here!' Thomas' voice suddenly yelled.

She looked at him with a raised brow, shaking her head when he sent her a confused look. Blair yawned as Aris slowly sat up, bringing her arm with him so it laid on his shoulders. The rest of the group slowly woke, the girl sending Minho and Newt a tight smile which they returned. But as Teresa sent her one, her face went blank before she quickly looked away.

'Are they gone?' Newt asked.

'Yeah, I think we're safe for now,' Thomas answered as he looked around after standing; 'Okay, we should get moving. Let's pack it up. Aris, come on. Fry, Winston. Let's go.'

And by simply watching Winston's face for a second, Blair knew what was going to happen before he even did it. Winston groaned as he went to get up, his hands going to his stomach as his face contorted in pain.

'Hey, man,' Frypan looked at him concerned; 'You okay?'

Winston didn't reply as he slowly looked up at his friend, taking his hand when he held out out to him. Aris helped Blair up from the ground, catching her when she stumbled forward before passing her the backpack she had brought. They followed Thomas as he started up the pile of ruined concrete slabs, the sun blinding them when they got high enough. It gave them the perfect view of the street below once they reached the flat, the once tall buildings crumbling and the road covered in bits and pieces of metal and concrete.

Thomas stopped for a mere second before he continued on, leading them over some steps and down a destroyed highway exit to the street. Blair was struggling to keep up at that point, the pain in her shin was making it hard to walk. Each step was on her toe, lurching her forward before her good leg caught her. She stayed toward the back with Winston, sending Aris on as he looked around with great curiosity; but he refused to leave her side.

'What the hell happened to this place?' Frypan asked.

'I don't know. It doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time,' Newt answered quietly.