5

====

' Just watching him

' Just watching him. '

====

It was quiet as they all sat around the fire, Aris stepping out of an old shipping container with more wood in his arms. Blair sent him a tight smile from where she sat beside Newt, the blonde staring at the fire intently. Aris sat down beside her, resting his head on her shoulder with a sigh.

'I thought we were supposed to be immune,' Minho's voice broke the silence.

'Not all of us, I guess,' Teresa stated.

'If Winston can get infected... We should assume so can the rest of us,' Newt said after a second.

Blair looked around at everyone's tired faces, tears welling in Thomas' eyes and some dripping down Frypan's face; leaving stains on his cheeks.

'I never thought I'd say it,' The boy spoke; 'I miss the Glade.'

Everyone looked at him for a second, some of the boys nodding. Blair watched as Teresa looked away uneasily, making her wonder about what was going on in her mind. It didn't take long for everyone to settle down after that, most drifting off to sleep as Thomas took first watch. The girl shuffled uncomfortably on the sand, before she rolled onto her side; jumping slightly when she came face to face with Newt. The blonde smirked slightly, watching her amused.

'Are you ok?' She whispered.

He blinked twice quickly, 'No.'

'I'm sorry.'

'No, you did the right thing.'

'No one else sees it that way.'

'They do. They just... It's hard to comprehend loosing another friend, watching them die in front of us.'

She nodded, 'I know.'

'How'd you know he couldn't do it?'

'Just watching him.'

'You do that a lot, don't you?'

She cocked an eyebrow at him in confusion, hers eyes flickering betwen his.

'Watching people,' He suggested.

'You make it sound creepy,' She scoffed.

'It is a little.'

Blair huffed in amusement, pushing his shoulder lightly; surprising herself at the gesture.

'It's just habit,' She shrugged.

'From your maze?' Newt asked.

'Yeh... It's how I kept people alive and how I keep myself sane.'

'What?'

'My maze wasn't the prettiest to be in. Drove a lot of people insane actually. Being trapped. There was countless suicides, people running into the maze to die '