(002.) STARK EXPO

RED SPARROW
( chapter two, stark expo )

     ISABEL HAD GOTTEN DOLLED UP AND READY FOR THE STARK EXPO

ISABEL HAD GOTTEN DOLLED UP AND READY FOR THE STARK EXPO. Sandra and Barbara convinced the Latina to go and see the soldier that she attended to. Isabel had her up in a neatly tight bun, with a white button-down shirt and a peach skirt. She had small heels on her feet and she wore a simple necklace around her neck.

The Latina knew exactly where the Stark Expo was considering that it was all anyone talked about. When Isabel reached the expo, it was crowded with people. She walked through the crowds shyly, trying to find her way towards where Stark was. The balls of her feet were starting to hurt due to the heels and all the walking she had done--she had preferred her white nursing shoes instead.

Isabel held on tight to her purse which held some money, lip balm, a nail file, and pictures held together by a paperclip. Isabel heard a sound ring through her ears which signaled that Howard Stark was starting his expo. Isabel walked slowly towards the crowd of people which were running to the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Howard Stark!" A woman introduced over the speaker. On the stage were five women wearing a black top hat and matching black and white outfits. Their skirts reached around mid-thigh and they wore pearl white gloves. Behind the five women was a bright red car, Isabel assumed the expo had to do with the car.

Howard Stark walked onto the stage with a large smile on his face. He wore a black tux with a matching black top hat. Everyone cheered when he came on the stage and a man had yelled in Isabel's ear making her look at him with distaste. Stark took off his hat and one of the women came over to grab it. Stark kissed the woman before taking the microphone that was in her hands.

"Ladies and gentlemen, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won't even have to touch the ground at all?" The women proceeded to take the wheels off of the car many 'oohed' and 'ahhed' at the question. "With Stark Gravitic Reversion Technology, you'll be able to do just that," Stark stood behind a small silver podium and turned the knob on it. Soon, the red car started lifting off the ground slowly. Isabel's eyes watched intently as she couldn't believe what was happening.

One of the wheels had short-circuited causing the car to fall down and send a small number of sparks. Everyone was still surprised that the car managed to go in the air, "I did say a few years, didn't I?" Stark asked the audience, some let out laughter and soon the crowd dispersed to look around.

Isabel let out a sigh when she didn't see Bucky, she knew she shouldn't have come tonight and that she should have followed the feeling she had felt. Isabel decided to explore the expo, she was already there and was going to go back for nothing. She was going to enjoy herself. A half-hour had passed and Isabel had seen numerous inventions created by Howard Stark.

When Isabel's feet were about to give up, she felt a firm hand on her shoulder. The Latina quickly tensed up but her head soon swung around to see who it was. When she saw the familiar steel blue eyes, she relaxed her shoulders, "I didn't expect to see you here," Bucky said with a smirk on his face.

He had on a sergeant uniform on with a brown hat that he wore sideways on his head. Isabel smiled at the uniform--she had to admit that he did look cute. "You found me just in time, I was just about to go home," Isabel held her purse on her shoulder and held her hands out in front of her.

Bucky furrowed his brows in confusion, "And why is that?" he asked curiously, "The night is still young."

The corners of Isabel's lips curled into a smile, "I've already looked around and eaten. There's nothing for me to do here and my feet are killing me."

Bucky's eyes shifted down to Isabel's shoes and saw that she was wearing heels, his gaze then shifted up to her emerald green eyes, "How about I walk you home then?"

Isabel placed a hand on her hip, "Now, aren't you such a gentleman?"

The two let out a laugh, "Hey, you can take the offer, it's all up to you," Isabel folded her arms across her chest and tilted her head looking at the soldier in front of her.

"Alright, Barnes, walk me home, since you stood me up," Isabel teased, the Latina turned around the in the direction to walk to her small home in Brooklyn, Bucky stood next to her as the two started walking, "So, when are you leaving?"

Bucky stuck his hands inside his pockets and let out a sigh, "Sooner than I thought, so don't miss me too much,"

Isabel let out a laugh, "Oh, don't worry I will," the small hairs on Isabel's starting to rise and goosebumps appeared up and down her arm. She quickly rubbed her arms to get them warm, Bucky noticed quickly.

He took off the blazer of his uniform and placed it around Isabel's shoulders, "I'm not going to let you freeze to death, Isabel," She quickly shook her head with a smile on her face.

"I'm not going to freeze to death, in order for that to happen I'd have to be in Antartica," Isabel held on to the top of the uniform to keep it from sliding as she walked.

"I forgot you were a nurse," Bucky remembered, "And you don't have to call me Barnes, you simply call me Bucky,"

Isabel furrowed her eyebrows at the nickname, she turned towards him, "Bucky?" she repeated, "Isn't your actual name James?"

Bucky nodded his head, "Yeah, my best friend calls me that and it's stuck with me since we were kids," he explained as he thought about Steve and his journey trying to get into the army.

"Who's your friend?" Isabel asked curiously as she looked at him.

"His name is Steve, Steve Rogers," the name sounded familiar to Isabel. When she realized who he was her eyes went eyes and her mouth went agape.

"I know him," Isabel started, "He went to enlist and I felt bad, so I tried to get him but the doctor caught me and sent him out. I was also threatened with losing my job, so. I felt bad for him," Isabel explained.

Bucky looked at Isabel as she explained, "So, you tried to enlist him in the army behind your boss's back?"

Isabel let out a laugh, "Yeah, I mean he had a big heart. He just wanted to fight for his country there's nothing wrong with that," the two were starting to approach Isabel's apartment in which walked slowly as they approached the door.

Isabel took off Bucky's uniform jacket and handed it to him as he put it on. He had a smirk on his face as he finished putting him on, "So, this where I leave you?"

The Latina looked at her apartment door, "Yes it is," she started, she opened her purse to pull out a single silver key, "I forgot how much my feet hurt until I got here,"

"No problem, doll," Bucky said with a smile towards Isabel, "I guess I'll see you after the war,"

Isabel rolled her eyes, "That's if you're still alive," she started, "When or if, you come back, how about you take me on a date. It's the least I can offer since you offered to walk me home,"

Bucky licked his lips as Isabel inserted the key into the lock, "You have a deal, Isabel," he started, "Guess, I'll have to get back here alive. Goodnight,"

Isabel opened the door, "Goodnight, Bucky. See you soon," Isabel winked before closing the door and putting the key into her pocket. Little did she know, it wasn't there last goodbye.