(007.) NEW YORK

RED SPARROW
( chapter seven, new york )

『 RED SPARROW 』( chapter seven, new york )

▬▬▬▬▬ ◈ ▬▬▬▬▬

THE WALK BACK TO THE BASE WAS LONG AN DREADFUL, EVERY MUSCLE IN ISABEL'S BODY ACHED. She walked with the other soldiers who still stood tall despite everything that had just happened. Isabel felt like she didn't belong with the rest of them, she was smaller than the rest of them and her role was small compared to their roles. Steve and the others walked with pride while Isabel just blended in with him.

She could feel Bucky's eyes on her as they walked. When they arrived on base, all eyes were on them. "Look who it is!" they yelled and everyone peeked out of their tents to see. Isabel wanted to hide and go to sleep. She was tired and she couldn't walk anymore but she didn't want to appear weak.

"Some of these men need medical attention," Steve commented while looking at the General with a stern look. Peggy and Isabel locked eyes before looking at Steve, "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action,"

"That won't be necessary," the man said while looking around at the soldiers.

"Yes, sir." Isabel smiled slightly at Steve and then she turned her gaze towards Bucky. Once they all got distracted, Isabel slipped away from the crowd and one of the nurses had set up an empty tent. Isabel slipped inside and laid down on the cot. She got into a fetal position and she stared at the wall of the tent.

She could feel a tear stream down her cheek, she felt terrible. Everything she had witnessed was ingrained in her head and she felt like she could relive every single motion that happened. She was there for a few minutes in her own thoughts before someone came into the tent. She instantly got up and wiped the tears away from her cheeks.

"Isabel, are you okay?" It was Bucky, he came in to check up on her. He quickly sat next to her and placed an arm around her and she buried her head in his neck, "What's wrong?"

"Everything," her voice cracked and she could a tight knot in her throat. She could feel her eyes starting to sting, "So many people are dead, Phyllis didn't deserve to die, she was so young. Everything that happened, what we did, when we, when we jumped and all that. That doctor that was in the room with me. I was terrified and I still am," at that point, she was crying barely getting through her sentences.

Bucky rubbed his hand on her shoulder as she cried, "Don't worry, soon enough this will all be over, the war will be over and we'll be alright," Isabel sniffed as she wiped the tears off of her face. She turned her gaze towards Bucky and smiled. She was glad he was by her side and Isabel could slowly feel herself falling for him but she couldn't get attached.

***

When they arrived in New York, things were different. Steve was getting the recognition he deserved and all the soldiers who were captured received love and affection from their loved ones. Isabel's parents had passed away a few years ago and the only family she had left were her twin sisters and her older brother. When she finally arrived in New York, she only wanted to see them.

The moment she stepped foot in the apartment her sister, Penelope gave her a tight hug, "Isabel! You're back and you're in one piece!" Isabel could feel the tears stinging in her eyes and the warmth from her sisters hug made her not want to leave.

"We thought you were dead when we heard what happened," Josephine the other twin came out of nowhere and joined the hug.

"Where's Julian?" Isabel asked as she pulled away from the hugs.

Josephine rolled her eyes, "Working like a dog," she answered, "That's all he ever does, he just works, eats, and sleeps," While Josephine talked, Penelope was making coffee for Isabel and when she was finished she gave Isabel a mug and they sat at the table.

"Well, someone has to provide for us. Isabel was the one that got lucky, our best luck is finding a husband, pero con esta, no se puede." The three of them chuckled slightly at the joke towards Josephine.

Isabel took a sip of the Cuban coffee and felt right at home, "Well, nursing is hard and it's been tough so far,"

Josephine placed her chin on her hands, "What about you, any cute soldiers I should know about?" Josephine was always nosy and wanted to know everything about everyone. Penelope turned towards her twin and slapped her arm.

"Que?!" Josephine was irritated as she rubbed her arm.

"She almost died and you're asking about her love life?" Penelope asked, Penelope was more like their mother while Julian was like their father. Penelope had a big heart which is why she hadn't found a boyfriend yet. She knew once she was married she wouldn't have time for her family.

Isabel instantly thought of Bucky and she had a small smile on her face, Penelope noticed and gasped, "Y esa sonrisa que tu tienes?"

The Latina quickly looked up, "I don't want to talk about it," at that moment, Isabel felt a sharp pain in her back and winced. Her sisters quickly looked up at her and furrowed their eyebrows.

"Are you okay?" Josephine asked worriedly.

Isabel nodded, "Yeah, it's probably stress from everything that's happened. I'm going to head back home since I have to meet some coworkers tomorrow. Tell Julian to stop by my apartment, I love you both and stay out of trouble." Isabel quickly got up and grabbed her things before placed a kiss on her sister's cheeks. She walked out of the apartment and took the bus back home.

When the Latina got home, she threw up. She didn't know if it was from escaping, stress or whatever they pumped into her body but she felt sick to her stomach. Once she threw up she showered and laid down in her bed. She hadn't told anyone what they did to her and she refused to. She didn't want to be experimented on but she didn't know what would happen to her body.

Isabel soon fell asleep in her bed with only her thoughts lingering.