(004.) DATE NIGHT

RED SPARROW
( chapter four, date night )

    OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS, THE SOLDIERS WENT THROUGH HELL

OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS, THE SOLDIERS WENT THROUGH HELL. THEY TRAINED EACH AND EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY. Many of them came to the infirmary with sore muscles and wounds from training. A few of them had passed out due to exhaustion and many of them were out of shape due to never exercising back home. Bucky and Isabel couldn't go on their little 'date night' due to the schedule the two of them had.

Some of the men no longer wanted to be apart of the army and wished to go home. Isabel had seen many injuries in the past few days. She saw blood and broken limbs more than anything else. The Latina was in the infirmary tending to a soldier that had hit his head and it was bleeding.

Isabel was wrapping bandages around the man's head, he had small cuts on his face and dark circles under his eyes. After Isabel finished wrapping the bandages on his head, she looked at him, "Now, you need to lay down and rest for a while or else that wound will open up again," the soldier nodded his head as he laid down on the cot.

Phyllis came over to Isabel with a tired expression, "I am honestly so exhausted,"

Isabel chuckled, "Imagine how exhausted they might be," Isabel reminded her.

Phyllis nodded her head agreeing, "You are right about that, Isabel," she started, "How's that boy of yours, what was his name again? Bucky?"

Isabel rolled her eyes, she hated whenever Phyllis and the other nurses brought it up, "He is not mine, Phyllis," Isabel reminded her as she restocked the bandages and other medications that they needed. Phyllis was following her like a bug which annoyed Isabel more than anything.

"Well, I'd suggest you make your move on him before he gets sent to the front, my darling," Phyllis advised her. She had only met Bucky recently, it wasn't like she had known him for years at a time. Yet somehow, she had found herself caring for the soldier, but she didn't want to escalate into the relationship. She had more of a crush on him but she didn't have a desire to start dating quickly and she didn't see herself marrying him.

Isabel's mother had warned about dating from a young age, the young girl had always listened to her mother's wise words. Isabel's father was once a soldier in Cuba and he had seen death many times. Her father was tough and there were times when he had nightmares about what he had seen. It took a toll on her mother but she still loved him to death. Isabel took in a deep breath, "I can't do anything about that. My father said always told me to expect the worse."

Phyllis rolled her eyes, "Well, that's great advice," Phyllis responded sarcastically, "Isabel, don't regret it. What if he comes back and finds another pretty woman and next thing you know, they're married and have children? What are you going to do?"

Isabel shrugged her shoulders, "Move on with my life," Isabel answered as she walked towards the medicine cabinet to grab some painkillers for one of the soldiers. Phyllis followed her while folding her arms across her chest.

"Isabel, you are going to end up a lonely old lady," Phyllis commented, "I saw your face when he came to see you the other night. Your cheeks were all rosy and you had the cutest little smile on your face. Don't deny it, Dominguez," Isabel's cheeks turned a light shade of pink as she turned around and placed her hand on her hip with a pill bottle in the other.

"I am not confirming or denying anything, Phyllis. Now get to work," Isabel ordered as she placed a pill on the nightstand of the man who had the head wound. Isabel put the pill bottle back and continued on with her day. When the sky had darkened, Isabel put on her jacket to go to her barracks where should shower and sleep. When she stepped outside, Bucky was waiting for her.

Isabel furrowed her brows, "What are you doing here?" she asked while fitting her hands inside the pockets.

Bucky shrugged his shoulders, "Well, I realized I couldn't give a date night and figured I'll walk you to where you need to be," he answered with a smile. Isabel tried to find a reason to reject him but she couldn't. He was a gentleman and he was attractive and any time he smiled, she felt butterflies in her stomach.

"You don't give up, do you?" Isabel asked as they both started walking.

Bucky shook his head, "I do not and when I come back, I am determined to find you again,"

Isabel chuckled, "I appreciate that Barnes," she commented, "And I guess we'll have to see and wait what happens,"

"Mark my words Isabel, one day I will find you after this is all over," he started, "Even if it's at the next Stark Expo."

Isabel looked at the ground and then at Bucky, "What if I go back to Cuba after this is all over? Or what if I find myself someone else? What will you do then?"

"Then I'll go to Cuba," he answered and with that, they both shared a laugh.

The Latina looked over at Bucky, "You're very persistent, I'll give you that," she started, "I need to tell you something,"

Bucky furrowed his brows, "What is it?"

Isabel stopped walking and so did Bucky, "My dad was a soldier and he saw a lot. It was hard on my mom and me when I was young. My mom was with him while he served and I was really young when it happened. It took a toll on her and it impacted my childhood. I aunts who lost their husbands to war and they went through a lot of pain. I don't want to experience that, I don't want to get attached and lose that same person. I like you, I really do, I just don't know how I'll get through the pain if you ever die," The two locked eyes and Bucky looked calm.

He nodded his head, "It's okay, Isabel. I think it was selfish of me not seeing where you were coming from. Maybe it's best if we don't get attached but when I get back and you're in New York, I hope I find you,"

The two smiled, "Thanks Bucky," The two shared a smile before Isabel went inside her barracks. There were a few nurses who were already asleep and a few others who were getting ready to sleep. For some reason, Isabel had a weird feeling in her gut, she felt that something was going to happen and it wasn't going to be good.