(008). S.H.I.E.L.D

RED SPARROW
( chapter eight, s.h.i.e.l.d )

▬▬▬▬▬ ◈ ▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬ ◈ ▬▬▬▬▬

ISABEL HAD DECIDED TO STAY WITH HER THREE SIBLINGS UNTIL SHE HAD FELT BETTER. SHE DIDN'T WANT TO BE ALONE IN HER APARTMENT AND SHE DIDN'T WANT TO BOTHER BUCKY. SHE THOUGHT HE WAS DEALING WITH HIS OWN PROBLEMS. She sat at the dining table drinking a cup of hot coffee. She always loved the smell and taste of coffee. It reminded of her days back in Cuba when her sisters where barely born. Anytime she made the coffee she would want to go back to Cuba.

The Latina sat in her pajamas as her sister Penelope opened the door. Penelope worked for a phone company and Josephine worked alongside with her but they worked different hours. Penelope would come home before Josephine and on weekends it would alternate.

Penelope wore a hat as she held letters in her hand. She looked out of breath from waking up the few flights of stairs needed to get to the apartment. "Izzy!" She gasped for a breath of air, "There's someone waiting outside to see you. He says his name is Bucky,"

"Bucky?" Isabel looked confused. She hadn't seen him since they were rescued.

Penelope nodded her head, "I ran up the stairs to tell you, he's outside waiting for you" she closed the door behind her and kicked off her shoes, she wore small tiny heels and she threw her hat on the table before taking off her coat and setting it on the rack. 

Isabel got up quickly and grabbed her coat. She put on a pair on slippers that Josephine used and opened the door. Isabel ran down the stairs towards the door. She wanted to see Bucky, she had missed him and she craved to see him again.

She didn't want to admit it but she slowly starting to fall for him. He was always there for her and he protected from whatever he could. When Isabel opened the door to the apartment building, she saw Bucky sitting on the steps.

He turned his head back and he stood up as soon as he saw her, she quickly smiled and embraced him in a hug. "Bucky!"

"Isabel!"

They were in each other's arms for what seemed like years, Isabel wanted to cry at his touch. She had missed him more than anything in the world. She let go of him and she had a huge smile on her face.

"What are you doing here?" She asked curiously.

Bucky smiled, "I wanted to invite somewhere tonight," he started, "I need to talk to you about something important."

Isabel furrowed her brows, "About what?"

"I'll tell you later tonight but here's the address,"
He handed Isabel a piece of paper which she grabbed slowly from his fingertips. She was confused when she saw the address.

"Why can't you tell me now?"

"Isabel, please?" He pleaded.

She rolled her eyes at him, "Fine, I will wait until tonight,"

"See you then," he placed a kiss on her cheek before running away. She watched as he cross the street and he turned his back to smile at her before he disappeared. Isabel walked back inside and climbed up the stairs. Her knees were burning as soon as she reached the apartment. She looked at the piece of paper and saw a time and address on it. She slipped it into her coat pocket and she took off her slippers.

"What did he want?" Penelope asked curiously.

Isabel shook her head, "Nothing, I'm going to see him tonight,"

"Aw, Izzy has a hot date," Penelope teased.

"Shut up, Lupe,"

***

When Isabel got there, Bucky was waiting for her outside, he was wearing his dog tag necklace and he smiled once he saw her approaching. Isabel was dressed up and she had her hair wrapped up in a neat bun,  "I'm here," 

"I'm glad you made it," he said while wrapping her arms around her. 

"Now, what is it that you needed to tell me?" she asked curiously. They held each others hands as Bucky looked towards the ground and then up at her gaze. 

"How about we talk inside?" 

Isabel shook her head, "I can't. I have to go back to my sister's house and help Josephine. She needs my help with something and I have to go to the store before it closes," she answered,  "So, whatever it is, just tell me now," 

Bucky nodded his head and he had no idea how to break the news to her. He looked up into her hazel eyes and took a a deep breath. Bucky's reaction made Isabel grow tense, he looked nervous and he hesitated before saying, "I'm leaving again," 

Isabel quickly let go of his hands, "What do you mean?" 

"I'm leaving again with Steve, to finish the job," he answered. Isabel felt a knot in her throat, she wanted to cry, she wanted to scream. She wanted to beg him not to go but it wouldn't work. He. was going to help Steve, they were practically brothers and he was going to help him any chance that he got. 

"So, you're leaving again?" she questioned, she was calm about it despite. the nervous shaking of her hands. She hid them behind her back as Bucky tried searching for a reaction.

He nodded his head, "Are you okay?" he asked worriedly. 

"I just don't want you to go,"  she answered, "You're the only thing next to normal that I have ever since we got back and I'm not ready to let you," she sucked in her own tears despite them stinging in her eyes. 

"I'll be back before you know it," he answered, "Once I get back, we can spend our days together, Isabel," 

She shook her head, "Bucky, what if you don't come back?"

"Don't say that, Isabel," he said, "What if we spent the night together at my apartment?" 

Isabel shook her head, "I have to get back home," she said while letting a tear fall down her cheek. Once Bucky noticed he quickly held up her chin and wiped the tear away with his thumb. 

"Hey, don't cry," he said, "I'll be back before you know it, here," He took off his dog tag necklace and grabbed Isabel's hand, he placed the necklace in her hand, "Keep it, to remember me okay?" 

Isabel nodded, "Bucky..." 

"I'll be fine," 

"I'll call Josephine and tell her what happened," she said as she placed the necklace in her pocket. A wave of emotions ran through her head, she didn't want him to go, she wanted to be with him and spend the night with him before he left. 

The two walked back to Bucky's apartment and he gave her a change of clothes. That night they slept together in the same bed and Isabel fell asleep embraced around Bucky's arm. For the first time in a while, she felt at peace with the familiarity. 

When Isabel woke up the next morning, he was gone. That was the last time she ever got to see him. She wanted to see him again but she knew it was impossible when Steve Rogers came to her apartment and told her Bucky was dead.