CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE:

Sergio's POV:

As per Iker's instructions, I arrived at the team dinner before he, Lia, and Iris did so I could save the seat next to my own. I had settled on pairing the outfit Lia described with a slim, black bomber jacket. Even though I wouldn't admit it to her tonight, that girl always knew how to make sure I looked good. I tried to make conversation with my teammates as I waited for my friends to arrive, but it was clear I was distracted. The dinner was at Marcelo's house, in his backyard. I always preferred our team gatherings to be at someone's house, it made the night less stressful. We could all relax without being hounded by the paparazzi when we left or being asked for autographs and photos while we ate. It's not that I find it inconvenient to meet fans and sign things, it's just, I want to enjoy a conversation and dinner with the team without all the attention.

"So Sergio, haven't heard much from you in the locker room lately, you hiding some secret girlfriend from us?" Cristiano teased me from across the table, causing a few other teammates to laugh. He slid me a beer as he took a sip of his own.

I gave him a small smile and shook my head, "Just laying low right now." I said quietly, wringing my hands underneath the table, a nervous habit I had picked up from an early age. I get restless when I'm being asked questions, ask any of my teammates who sit in on press interviews with me, I have tireless hands.

Cristiano gave me a suspicious look but seemed to take my answer as a good one, because he didn't press any further on the subject.

I pulled out my phone to avoid being hounded by my friends anymore on girls. I'll admit, since I developed my little crush on Iris, I wasn't as inclined to share sexual adventures with teammates. One of the reasons was because I hadn't had much of any. I just didn't feel up to it, and if I'm being honest I was growing tired of the media attention and teasing I was receiving for it all. I'm not saying I haven't slept with a quite a few women, all I'm saying is that it's not as many as the press makes it out to be. Sex sells, and I was one who knew that very well.

"Anyone know what time melón is getting here?" I asked the table before checking my watch.

"Iker? Probably soon, you know him, he can be a little slow." Marcelo winked and I smiled.

"I'm sure Lia is already nagging him about how unprofessional it is for him to be late." I responded and a few of the guys laughed.

Iker and Lia had been dating now for a little more than two and a half years and the team loved her. She got on with the guys just as well as she did with the girls which made her easy to like. What I liked the most was that she took care of Iker, because I know as well as anyone that as stoic as he acts, he needs someone to be there for him when he can't pretend anymore. I'd be lying if I said I didn't lean on her in hard times too. The Champions League semi finals in 2012 when I blew it in the penalty shoot out, completely missing the frame and giving Bayern Munich the win. Lia was there for the guys when we needed her, but especially me and Iker.

I smiled at the thought of finding someone like her one day, a strong independent woman who didn't need me but wanted me anyways. The timing with Iris was wrong but there's nothing wrong with being her friend for now.

I set my phone on the table and took a sip of the beer Cris brought me, my eyes moving to the doorway of the house. Walking out to greet everyone was Iker, Iris, and Lia. I smiled and waved at them moving to get up.

"Hey guys, good to see you." I smiled and hugged Lia and Iker. "Hey Iris, you look, you look great." I stumbled slightly, immediately wishing I hadn't commented on her outfit. She did look amazing though, skinny jeans, wedges, this cute cream colored flowy top.