CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR:

Iris's POV:

I was sat on the couch one evening with Joey, our normal routine after a long work week for the both of us. I laid on his chest as he kept one arm around me, it was a warm and very comfortable place to be after a hectic week. I tended to work the odd hours and days out of the two of us, creativity and inspiration have no sense of time. He, as a corporate lawyer for Santander Group, the largest banking group in all of Spain, worked a more traditional schedule.

He was getting quite successful recently and was on track for a nice promotion where he would take the lead on more lawsuits than in previous years. I was happy for him I really was, I just could never understand how one could enjoy such an intense, high stakes job. He would always tell me he liked knowing he helped someone protect their investments.

It was obvious I was the more creative of the two of us, that's not to say that Joey's profession didn't require some creative thinking to solve problems. He would be the first one to tell you I was more of the free flowing one in our relationship. I loved him, that was true. We had what everyone desired, a stable relationship, a beautiful, large flat in the prime area of the city, and steady, high-paying jobs that allowed us the luxuries we both loved dearly. It was however, very routine, minus our semi-annual trips to various tropical islands or European cities, we didn't go out much.

I missed the wild and crazy days of university where the world was at my fingertips and I could do anything and go anywhere. Settling down and starting a career was however, a fact of growing up. It was a fact I wasn't always happy about. I was fortunate enough to make it in the industry I wanted to. Working in fashion is a dream come true for me and the passion I have for it all shows in my work. I just wish it was easier to find that passion for life, it seemed to have faded over the last few years. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't unhappy, I just felt like there was something more out there that I needed to find on my own.

Joey pulled me out of my thoughts as he spoke, "So are you able to come with me to the Santander event tomorrow night?" He asked, rubbing his hand along my arm.

I sat up slightly and looked at him with a frown, "Babe I told you weeks ago I have to attend a store opening event on the west side of the city, my new line is being debuted there." I answered, a little disappointed he hadn't remembered such an event. This was the first time I designed an entire line of clothes that was being sold with my name over that section of the store. That kind of publicity was huge for me as an up and coming designer.

"Right, yeah that thing." Joey said flippantly, frustrating me slightly.

"Yeah, that thing I've been talking about for weeks." I responded, offended that he thought it was no big deal.

"Can't you just skip it, I need to keep up my image at work. I have to look good to the bosses if I want that promotion." He looked at me, completely oblivious to how he was upsetting me.

"You're joking right? I can't skip it, besides I don't really see how me attending would help you." I stared at him intensely, trying to suppress my growing annoyance.

"Because," he spoke with the tone of an adult explaining something very simple to a small child, "having a successful, gorgeous girl on my arm shows that I'm capable and can be trusted. It's just important that you come along, say something small about your job and then you just smile and nod as I kiss up to my bosses and other big attorneys. It's easy." He explained, his eyes focused on the television as he finished his vodka soda.

"So you just want me to stand there and look pretty?" I asked him, balling my fists in anger, although he didn't notice.

"Yeah basically, they probably won't ask much if anything, you're like a, a trophy girlfriend for the night." He shrugged, answering so nonchalantly. When I didn't respond right away he continued, "Don't worry, the other wives will be there so you can talk to them about stuff, like hair and clothes or whatever." I could hardly believe my ears.