Chapter Three. The Way Life Goes.

Alexis Diaz

-

21 Savage's 'Bank Account' filled the party, some of the dope boys rapped along flashing guns, while the girls tried to look cute.

I nursed a cup of alcohol barely taking a few sips out of it. Dana stood next to me with her sunglasses sitting on top her head while she tried to strike up a conversation with me.

But my gaze stayed on her brother Prince who stood near us while a really pretty woman latched onto him.

Prince was brown skin and tall and a little buff. He was older than Dana and I by seven years and was just a very intelligent and suave type of guy.

I made the mistake of making eye contact with him and he flashed this crooked smile that made my heart want to burst out of my chest.

When Dana had told me he was back in town, I had to see him. Even if I didn't speak to him, I wanted him to see that I'd grown up and maybe that was mentally cheating but I didn't put it past Anthony to have done worse.

"How long is Prince in town for?" I asked Dana who laughed out loud and looked at me.

"Should've known when my big headed brother came back around you'd be over Anthony's ass. Don't do this to yourself girl, Prince is a damn demon. Don't forget what his job occupation is" Dana said dropping her voice down real low.

Prince killed people for a living. There wasn't a way to make it anymore blunt, their father had raised him up and prepared him for this and it often resulted in him having to stay one step in front of the police at all times and took him away from home.

The shit was wild and one of the reasons why for the most part, I stuck to my lil drug dealers. I knew Anthony wasn't innocent but he had some sense not to engage in some reckless shit like that.

I'd been in love or infatuated with Prince since I was six, it wasn't anything deep because the feeling wasn't mutual considering he was thirteen. I confessed my feelings when I was sixteen and he was twenty three, years of bottled up emotion came out and he let me down kindly.

I met Anthony a few months later and pretended to not be interested in Prince when he came into town to check on his baby sister and parents.

"Y'all okay?" A low voice questioned. I glanced over noticing Dana's boyfriend Lucas walk up to us holding out a red cup to her.

"We're cool" Dana answered for us. She stood on her tippy toes and kissed Lucas on the lips as his arms snaked around her.

Lucas looked like he belonged in a boy band, but he was one of the craziest white boys i'd ever met and white boys were usually crazy and on some other shit. His dark brown hair was slicked back and the sides were shaved low showing the tattoos he had on the sides.

"Where's the bathroom?" I questioned Lucas over the music. He looked up at me removing his face from Dana's neck, I noticed his nostrils looked raw from all that snorting he did.

"Towards the back of the house, make a left and it's the first door" Lucas said rubbing at his nose. Dana grabbed my arm before I could walk away and eventually lose her in the party.